• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Display won't "wake " troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Ever since I started folding with the RTX2060 in sig rig #2, every so often the display will go dark, but won't "wake" by mouse or keyboard. I've swapped drivers, desktop environments(XFCE, MATE) and looked for any logs that might reveal the problem. Of course I've set the power settings to not sleep, hibernate etc.

Right now I would like to swap the RTX2060 with the GTX 1080 (rig #1) and see if the problem disappears in it's original machine, or carries over to the 1080s machine.

Q: will doing so affect the WUs in progress?

Any ideas "why" and "what" causes the display to not wake?

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Yes, you'll lose the work unit , select finish if at all possible and wait till it is done before the swap.

To bypass the not waking monitor...can you switch it off? If that solve the problem it is the monitor...If it doesn't it is the OS.

Is it requiring a reboot to wake it up?

I only know Ubuntu and Gnome, so am pretty sure you know more than I do Tim. My monitor for my 2 Ubuntu's is a 65" TV so I turn it off once I check things. A home theatre receiver acts as the KVM switch.

Last edited:
OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Yes, you'll lose the work unit , select finish if at all possible and wait till it is done before the swap.

To bypass the not waking monitor...can you switch it off? If that solve the problem it is the monitor...If it doesn't it is the OS.

Is it requiring a reboot to wake it up?

I only know Ubuntu and Gnome, so am pretty sure you know more than I do Tim. My monitor for my 2 Ubuntu's is a 65" TV so I turn it off once I check things. A home theatre receiver acts as the KVM switch.
OK, I'll tell both machines to finish. Both machines are running the same driver, so there "shouldn't" be any heartburn there.

I've been switching off the monitor, but for starting earlier today I've just left the monitor on, and set the power settings to turn off the display off in 5 minutes. Since then I've checked it and has awakened just moving the mouse. I can't say "solved" quite, yet, as there has been no consistent pattern. But yea, previously a reboot to has been to wake up. I wish there was a way to determine whether the WUs continued during the display sleep, or if the system is just overwhelmed and is in fact comatose.

HayesK

I run FAHControl and HFM on windows laptops to monitor/control my linux hosts. Able to view the logs, configure and pause/fold the FAH client on the linux hosts.

HayesK

I have remote access enabled in FAH and use the host name in HFM and FAHControl. Have HFM and FAHControl on two w10 laptops setup for monitoring FAH on all the linux and windows hosts. The FAHControl on the hosts is only setup for the local client. An example of my host names for a dual boot host would be F74-P8Z77-U1804 and F74-P8Z77-W10.

I do have a "folding" folder on each linux host shared using samba but none of the FAHClient folders are shared. Possible that samba is needed to get the host names to work, but do not think samba is required for remote monitoring with HFM/FAHControl. Having a shared folder simplifies moving files between the hosts, but have discovered that installing samba on U1804 also added the python version required for FAHControl v7.6.21 to run on the linux host, which otherwise would have to be manually installed. The windows hosts do not have any shared folders.

Last edited:
OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I'll hijack my wife's laptop with Win 10 that she uses for Zoom with her quilt ladies and listening to music with. It just has the Intel 630 graphics so no fold, just monitor the farm with HFM.net.

The 'display wake' problem rig went all night without any issue, woke up fine this morning. Not consistent, nothing to point to as the cause. I didn't do the GPU swap yet as mentioned in posts 1-3, maybe this weekend. I'm actually leaning towards retiring the AM3 rig(GA-78LMT-S2 + Phenom II X4 965) and running the 2060 and 3060 together in the new build.

OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I'll have to tinker more with HFM and my remote Linux client's OS settings, but one thing I became aware of this morning is that even-though the un-wakable display issue persists, that machine is still completing and returning WU, as my other GPUs(GTX 1080 and GTX 1050 mobile) are not capable of producing 3.7 M PPd all by their selves.

OP
ihrsetrdr

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
@ihrsetrdr if you need any help with HFM, I know a guy ;)

That is correct. It's a direct TCP connection.
Thanks Ryan, I shall take you up on your gracious offer. :) At present tho' the situation has progressed, I'll be pulling the card our of this [old] system as soon as the current WU finishes. Am seeing some hardware instability, possibly the PSU, so the RTX 2060 is going into my new build early.

ottoaxel

Probably not much help, but I get the same issue with my ryzen 1600 running windows 10 and a fairly new monitor. Have to restart the system to get video back on occasion. I used to have the same problem with linux vm's running in virtualbox on the same system, but haven't seen that in quite some time. I like the idea of remote monitoring to allow the workunit to finish before I force a reboot, but bugger it. Considering this happens in widely disparate systems, all running [email protected] something tells me [email protected] is to blame somehow, oh well the price we pay to try and do some good.