• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY hardware.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saturn

Disabled
So as we all may or may not know, the retro PC community tends to pay crazy money for what would seem like worthless junk.
It got me thinking, a lot of old hardware is simple and not at hard to clone and I like to solder and mod hardware. That and most if not all the parts needed are available to clone old hardware, heck even old XT motherboards can be home made.

So why not make my own clones of old hardware for fun and sell what I don't like/want? If anything I could have a lot of fun and share my work with the internet people. :p
I have blank adlib PCB and will be making my own adlib sound card soon. Dose such a project interest anyone here?
If there is enough interest for such a project I'll be sure to share my work and post photos here.
Right now I'll be only making one adlib clone, I may make a entire xt based PC down the road for fun. Think of it, not only would I be building my own PC but the hardware too.

EDIT:
I have the plans for a XT motherboard, adlib sound card, 8bit svga card, fdd/cf controller. Thats about a full system there. All I need is the plains for a cpu board

OP
S

saturn

Disabled
When I get home I'll post the PCB I have. Oh and it's a fancy blue color pcb.
Right now I'm deciding on what all components to use. I'm trying to keep it cheap, but at that same time I rather not use cheap parts.

I might just go all out and buy the best parts, but I could have 50ish $ in a 8bit sound card alone :screwy:
As for the video card, I din't know if I could make that, the gpu has so many small leads I would have to solder onto the pcb.
In the end I will have a PC that can max out lemming and alley cat :rofl:

I may have to breadboard the cpu card or buy one as I can't find the schematic for any.

EDIT:
I found one, but its for a 16bit motherboard and I don't have the schematic for a 16bit board

Last edited: