• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY server rack...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whatcha mountin' in there? Just curious :)

Also is there any reason to go with those rails over the slotted angle iron you can get at your local hardware? I can see that there are are two sizes of hole and the pattern, but I am not sure if you could improvise on the rest of the hardware needed for mounting.

I will be watching this thread because I was just dreaming of building a rack the other day as well. I wanted to put mine in an old refrigerator though! :)

Whatcha mountin' in there? Just curious :)

Also is there any reason to go with those rails over the slotted angle iron you can get at your local hardware? I can see that there are are two sizes of hole and the pattern, but I am not sure if you could improvise on the rest of the hardware needed for mounting.

I will be watching this thread because I was just dreaming of building a rack the other day as well. I wanted to put mine in an old refrigerator though! :)

i have an app on my phone called mobile performance meter that allows me to get points.. i can cash the points in for gift cards.. picked up up off amazon for free needless to say.

Gotta love low priced items ! :)

What I meant though was would material bought at the store be similar enough physically? I dont know what other parts plug into those rails so I cant tell if I could substitute local materials. Although when I actually looked at the price on those rails, I realized that they were only a couple dollars more, so the only reason to shop in town would be if you "gptta have it now"

Gotta love low priced items ! :)

What I meant though was would material bought at the store be similar enough physically? I dont know what other parts plug into those rails so I cant tell if I could substitute local materials. Although when I actually looked at the price on those rails, I realized that they were only a couple dollars more, so the only reason to shop in town would be if you "gptta have it now"

pretty much.. plus they work really well for my application.. i plan on adding a couple old computer in a couple 4U cases just to mount them up there.. one will become my PFsense rounter, the other a home media server. Then i will probably slap up a few cisco switches just to toy with and learn. This is eventually going to be my lab so to speak. I want to get into network administration one day, just havent had the time to finish out my certs.

Awesome DIY Rack. I saw that link last week when I was getting some ideas for my basement stair rack. Did a mockup in Sketchup to get an idea of what I was looking for.

NodeZeroPlan.JPG

Back