• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DLL's deleted in XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

So I'm attempting to repair an old Dell for a friend of mine and it appears that some of the system files (dll's) are missing. The problem is he doesn't have the restore discs that came with his PC.

Is there a way to first find out what files are missing, and second, is there a way to download these dll's?

Thanks all!

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Run the System File Checker tool from the command prompt, by typing sfc /scannow. The default String value that defines the SourcePath for the SFC tool is the path to the optical drive that Windows was installed from. Since most DLLs are replicated in the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache directory (and possibly in a Dell created i386 directory), change the SourcePath String value in the registry to C:\ under the following key before running the SFC tool...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Setup