• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do add in sound cards make a difference? Please read OP.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
I know my thought and feelings and they will not change, they are based on data and personal experience.

On-board audio is great for general usage but on many motherboards I find it lacking. Either the included audio software sucks giving little control or it is lacking features. That is my opinion backed by experience.

Some is good, none is great and most is meh.

What are the thoughts of the rest of you?

Unless you're some kind of audiophile with expensive cans/speakers, most onboard audio is plenty sufficient for most users... especially those with Realtek alc1200 or newer codecs.

I see you have older systems in your sig...no motherboard mentioned so no idea on the codec. But that may be a part of it. Old boards, inexpensive boards....old boards with old and not premium-class+ integrated audio solutions would be where I expect to find this opinion. What boards do you have and what codec are on them?

My thoughts through MY experience....most are good (ALC1200/1220/1220-VB, 4080/4082), and a few MEH (897). Let me ask....what features and control are you missing? What features and control are you missing a sound card provides? More modern integrated solutions typically have more robust software too. Some even have Nahimic software or the Realtek software is solid (for my uses) too.

Your opinion is rooted in your experience, but your experience is seemingly with several generations/years old technology. Integrated audio has come a long way since then.... but there are still better discrete options, though not many.

Last edited:
Unless you're some kind of audiophile with expensive cans/speakers, most onboard audio is plenty sufficient for most users... especially those with Realtek alc1200 or newer codecs.

I see you have older systems in your sig...no motherboard mentioned so no idea on the codec. But that may be a part of it. Old boards, inexpensive boards....old boards with old and not premium-class+ integrated audio solutions would be where I expect to find this opinion. What boards do you have and what codec are on them?

My thoughts through MY experience....most are good (ALC1200, 1220-VB, 4082), and a few MEH (897). Let me ask....what features and control are you missing? What features and control are you missing a sound card provides? More modern integrated solutions typically have more robust software too. Some even have Nahimic software or the Realtek software is solid (for my uses) too.

Your opinion is rooted in your experience, but your experience is seemingly with several generations/years old technology. Integrated audio has come a long way since then.... but there are still better discrete options, though not many.

I keep current. Yes my sig needs updated. Your options is noted and you are correct. For MOST people it makes no difference. Thank you for expanding my thoughts, you are correct. For the majority.

Now drop a decent set of speakers on a surround system run off an optical cable running to wired speakers.

The MSi PRO X 670P WIFI audio sucks because the realtek software or the MSi implementation sucks. ALC 4080 according to their site.

My last gen ASUS board had no audio issues, not great but acceptable.

Yeah, update that sig... lol.

Now drop a decent set of speakers on a surround system run off an optical cable running to wired speakers.
I did that with another system using an ALC1220 codec. No issues here. Optical out to the receiver........reap surround benefits (Mid-class Sony receiver, Polk speakers). :)

So again, you still haven't mentioned anything outside of 'sucks' or 'lacking', lol. What, exactly, does 'sucks' mean? What features are you missing?

The ASUS TUF X670 had much better audio and better control.
Uses Realtek 1220A... solid as well.

So again, you still haven't mentioned anything outside of 'sucks' or lacking, lol. What, exactly, does 'sucks' mean? What features are you missing?

....better control over......................what? Less vague, more details!

Yeah, update that sig... lol.

I did that with another system using an ALC1220 codec. No issues here. Optical out to the receiver........reap surround benefits (Mid-class Sony receiver, Polk speakers). :)

So again, you still haven't mentioned anything outside of 'sucks', lol. What, exactly, does 'sucks' mean? What features are you missing?

The 5.1 off of optical on that board really does not produce good or accurate sound, to me. Do note, I said TO ME. Remember this is an opinion thing. We have different ears, different setups, different uses. Here there is absolutely no correct answer.
Post magically merged:

Uses Realtek 1220A... solid as well.

....better control over......................what? Less vague, more details!

Opinion and feeling. There is no detail. Have you tried a decent sound card with good software as of late? If not then... honestly. We cannot have this discussion. I know 100% what you are talking about but do you know what I am talking about?

Just asking, not trying to argue here ED.

Edit: I upgraded the speakers before adding the sound card. I was thinking I may have blown them. So I gave the to my daughter on the old ASUS mb with a 5.1 receiver. They sound great.

These new speakers were underwhelming before I added the card.

Had to be here.

Last edited:
The 5.1 off of optical on that board really does not produce good or accurate sound, to me. Do note, I said TO ME. Remember this is an opinion thing. We have different ears, different setups, different uses. Here there is absolutely no correct answer.
Yeah, no clue... on paper it's a similar or better codec than the 1220. Testing shows that as well (THD, frequency response, etc). I can't say I noticed a difference moving from 1220 to 4082, but I wouldn't call my speakers and cans awesome either (Logitech speakers w/sub ~$200, and Steel Series Arctic 7 ~$150).

The last sound card I tried was the EVGA NU Audio card. It's hands down better than integrated audio. So yes, I do know and have experienced the difference.... and how I formed my opinion (there are very few, mostly audiophiles with pricey equipment, who aren't satisfied with integrated audio). But I haven't touched a Sound blaster sound card in a decade.

There is no detail.
There is in the features/functionality you said you're missing. ;)

Yeah, no clue... on paper it's a similar or better codec than the 1220. Testing shows that as well (THD, frequency response, etc). I can't say I noticed a difference moving from 1220 to 4082, but I wouldn't call my speakers and cans awesome either (Logitech speakers w/sub ~$200, and Steel Series Arctic 7 ~$150).

The last sound card I tried was the EVGA NU Audio card. It's hands down better than integrated audio. So yes, I do know and have experienced the difference.... and how I formed my opinion (there are very few, mostly audiophiles with pricey equipment, who aren't satisfied with integrated audio). But I haven't touched a Sound blaster sound card in a decade.

There is in the features/functionality you said you're missing. ;)
Check out the control options in the latest SB software.

Screenshot_20221222-110644_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221222-110628_Gallery.jpg
I felt much the same as you. I had not had a card since the SB Audigy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221222-110552_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222-110552_Gallery.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It's pretty, but I don't see a significant difference in functionality from those screencaps so far. Realtek has have volume control, speaker selection, the ability to send test tones, change audio quality and an EQ, bass management, etc.

DTS is a function of the codec...perhaps the 4080 doesn't have it, but the 4082 (and 1220A) does? No clue about that. I don't see that in the Realtek control panel, but may be in the motherboard's software (Sonic studio). MSI and another board partner (Giga?) have the Nahimic audio software with 'better' software as well. Asus has Sonic Studio with more options than the Realtek panel.

Last edited:
i can't really tell you.... i gave up on dedicated sound cards when Creative Soundblaster stopped updating drivers + software for newer windows platforms for their X-Fi 7.1 cards. (worked great in Windows 7 and earlier, but the software was not compatible with Windows 8 or newer, no matter what i tried.) And abandoned it completely when Cambridge Soundworks (under the Creative logo) and Klipsh stopped making 7.1 / 5.1 speaker systems for PCs respectively. It didtn't help that the amp died in my Cambridge Soundworks 7.1 system.

I used my PC for everything: games, Media, internet, home theatre. saved a lot of money on good expensive audio gear, and also saved a lot of bulk. Joys of moving a lot during that time in my life. Now i have Klipsch 2.1 speakers on my MoBo and i'm so disappointed, but unwilling to spend the tens of thousands on gear i would really enjoy.

i'm really disappointed that the industry crapped on us audiophiles in the PC market.

PS: i've lazily looked at HDMI soundbars, considering if one would work for my PC, but i haven't even checked for basic compatibility yet... if it needs extra hardware or software... if it is plug and play... etc...

Last edited:
It's pretty, but I don't see a significant difference in functionality from those screencaps so far. Realtek has have volume control, speaker selection, the ability to send test tones, change audio quality and an EQ, bass management, etc.

DTS is a function of the codec...perhaps the 4080 doesn't have it, but the 4082 (and 1220A) does? No clue about that. I don't see that in the Realtek control panel, but may be in the motherboard's software (Sonic studio). MSI and another board partner (Giga?) have the Nahimic audio software with 'better' software as well. Asus has Sonic Studio with more options than the Realtek panel.

Yes, the MSi with the 4080 (the 4080 is USB bus) was fine for stero but 5.1 over optical was pretty much useless.

So, it's just an audio quality issue on one board thta's the concern 9considering little difference in software?)?

So, it's just an audio quality issue on one board thta's the concern 9considering little

ED. Please re-read the OP. I am not trying to solve a problem. This is subjective. Some is prefrence. I know what I went through switching to this MSi board.

I was not asking for advice or trying to one up someone. I was just asking for the thoughts of others. You made your thoughts clear. I agreed with most of your points.

I am a bit of an audiophile. I want clear sound. I bought a set of speakers because I thought it may have been them, somehow, after I switched boards. Sounded better on this board but something was still missing.

The software did not jive with me and the sound quality was not there. The soundcard fixed it.

The old speakers sound fine on the old board now in my daughter's house.

I was just asking for the thoughts of others on this subject. There is no right or wrong.

what about buying a dedicated DAC/AMP? You can have ones that connect over USB to your system? I know that Schiit is often recommended for PC use [called the Schiit Stack with both the dac and amp]. I haven't used a dedicated soundcard for a while, I found that whenever I had system instability it almost always came back to crap drivers for any of the companies.

what about buying a dedicated DAC/AMP? You can have ones that connect over USB to your system? I know that Schiit is often recommended for PC use [called the Schiit Stack with both the dac and amp]. I haven't used a dedicated soundcard for a while, I found that whenever I had system instability it almost always came back to crap drivers for any of the companies.

No idea. I use an old Sony 5.1 receiver. Thought about replacing it but it still works great.

ED. Please re-read the OP. I am not trying to solve a problem. This is subjective. Some is prefrence. I know what I went through switching to this MSi board.

I was not asking for advice or trying to one up someone. I was just asking for the thoughts of others. You made your thoughts clear. I agreed with most of your points.

I am a bit of an audiophile. I want clear sound. I bought a set of speakers because I thought it may have been them, somehow, after I switched boards. Sounded better on this board but something was still missing.

The software did not jive with me and the sound quality was not there. The soundcard fixed it.

The old speakers sound fine on the old board now in my daughter's house.

I was just asking for the thoughts of others on this subject. There is no right or wrong.
Sorry man... I wasn't trying to solve any problem (or one-up someone, what??) but trying to make sure I understood where you were coming from and what it boils down to. Saying something 'sucks' wasn't terribly informative, so I asked to clarify/for details...not trying to argue about anything. There's no need for me to re-read the OP and please don't misinterpret my posts. Apologies for any confusion. :salute:

Last edited:
Sorry man... I wasn't trying to solve any problem (or one-up someone, what??) but trying to make sure I understood where you were coming from and what it boils down to. Saying something 'sucks' wasn't terribly informative, so I asked to clarify/for details...not trying to argue about anything. There's no need for me to re-read the OP and please don't misinterpret my posts. Apologies for any confusion. :salute:
I was not either. Neither of us was in the wrong or being aggressive in any way. Probably should have put this in GD as it is an opinion thing and until this happened I would agree.

I had an old ASUS board that had some sort of additional shielding / signal isolation on the audio channels. It was a cleaner sound than I'm used to. I have run into issues with some motherboards where you can hear mouse movements as electrical interference through the headphones. I currently use an Optical DAC (SMSL Q5 Pro) to power speakers, and I use a USB headset. In most instances, a quality DAC and external amplifier running through onboard optical is going to sound better than the headphone out of even the highest end sound cards. And passive speakers are going to require an external power source any way.

If you're a true audiophile, the chances of using the onboard stereo out is pretty slim. Because good speakers won't work on that output (need external power and thus a receiver or amplifier), and good headphones won't sound as good as possible from the onboard headphone jack. Unless there is a special case (like 384KHz sample rate, or a specific input/output), I don't see a sound card being the best option for most people. External audio components that improve the onboard signal will be more useful in future, and likely give noticeably better results.

Back