• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do all contemporary SSD's have latencies (seek times) of < 1 ms.?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Railgun

Generally yes but looking solely at latency by itself and at a moment of time is useless in this context.

OP
M

magellan

Generally yes but looking solely at latency by itself and at a moment of time is useless in this context.

I didn't know how to phrase my question correctly. I guess even seek time for HDD's is an average measurement and one only calculated while the platters are actually spinning.

So is latency the correct term for SSD's?

Are there certain conditions under which an SSD would have > 1 ms. latency? Maybe when it's performing its garbage collection routines?

Arbiter Odie

Latency is the correct term in correlation to seek time. I don't know about the garbage collection though.
I wonder if any of the Emmc drives have higher latencies. I'm having trouble finding benchmarks for them.

Railgun

I didn't know how to phrase my question correctly. I guess even seek time for HDD's is an average measurement and one only calculated while the platters are actually spinning.

So is latency the correct term for SSD's?

Are there certain conditions under which an SSD would have > 1 ms. latency? Maybe when it's performing its garbage collection routines?

There's a relationship I think to queue depth and latency. For example, in AnandTech's bench, they measure latency in the context of

Percentage of >10ms Service Times
...among others. So from that perspective, the use case will somewhat determine real world latency. But for all intents and purposes, yeah...latency is negligible.