• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do all linux os's support Multi-cpu's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skab

Working my wqy thru various os's looking for a windows replacement for a Dual xeon unit, needs to be able to work with dual cpus and ht though.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Most modern distros will detect it and install a SMP kernel.

To see if it's detected, run:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

or run "top" and press the 1 key to expand the processor status

MRD

All reasonably recent kernels support smp. However, the option must be turned on during kernel config. Most prebuilt kernels will include this. If you are running something like gentoo where you build your own kernel, make sure to turn on the smp option.

OP
skab

skab

Running mepis, seems to only be seeing the one cpu. Is it possible to make it start seiing and using the other three without a reinstall?

MRD

What you need to do is use synaptic to download a new kernel. I think MEPIS produces a line of kernels with and without smp support, you need the one with. Just search for kernel, and hopefully which one you need will be obvious. The apt-get install <package name> or do it through synaptic.

OP
skab

skab

Thought I found and installed the right kernel but must not have been as I still only see one cpu listed for usage in kmanager(?)

OP
skab

skab

Thought so also but did some checking around and found out I need to change some files in grub so it'll load correctly. Any suggestions for how to get into "grub" from the desktop? That's my project for tommorrow, that and figuring out how to get BIONC for seti running. I have three more days to get this working before I runout of time on my Win2003 server trial version.

MRD

Grub is controlled by editing the file /boot/grub/grub.conf. Just edit it with any text editor.

I don't see what that has to do with smp though. Is there some kernel flag to enable it?

moz_21

MRD said:
Grub is controlled by editing the file /boot/grub/grub.conf. Just edit it with any text editor.

I don't see what that has to do with smp though. Is there some kernel flag to enable it?

I think he just booted his old non-smp kernel.

MRD

Ah I get it now. Yeah, you need to specify the new kernel in /boot/grub/grub.conf. It should be obvious where in the file to do it.

OP
skab

skab

This is what I found :) :
Submitted by LordDavon on Fri, 05/06/2005 - 01:59.
You need to configure grub to load the 2.6.11.6 kernel. Just copy all of the lines for the 2.6.10 kernel and paste them replacing 2.6.11.6 for anything reading 2.6.10.

David

» login or register to post comments

So I'll try that this AM and let you know how it goes.