• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do Dell pulled 7800gtx's work in standard PCI-X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goodolarchie

A friend owns a dell XPS PC, he's getting rid of it but he told me that he ordered a 7800gtx. I was amazed because he doesn't even game... anyway, I can get the card from him for a screaming deal but I wasn't sure if dell's 7800's (pre-installed, not ordered) were proprietary or not. My inclination, knowing dell, is that they are, probably 1 less or more pin :rolleyes: .
Does anyone know?

jadakada

when did they start doing that? every Dell I owned only has uncompadible cases and motherboard size. But then again the last dell I bought was 2 years ago so I guess they could have changed. I doubt they would do thay, PCI express is PCI express.

stang8118

yeah they use the same standard pci-e video cards. Pretty much the only non propritary items on there ocmputers are hd/cpu/memory/video/cd drives.

jadakada

I think the only things propritary on dells is case, mobo size, and PSU. Nething else should be stadard... granted if u ever want a new case, mobo, or PSU you might have problems with a dell but considering there compititors They are pretty good about it. I remeber when I tried to upgrade my firends Compaq almost everything had to come from compaq or else parts wouldnt work.

OP
goodolarchie

goodolarchie

sweet, that's good news. So who wants to buy my current BFG 7800GT!
...I'm getting ahead of myself.
Thanks for replies

One other last question... does anyone know who makes dell's gtx?