• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do DisplayPort/HDMI to DVI converters have any downsides?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nstgc

Registered
I have an old monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200 and a color depth of 8b without dithering (10b with). I do a fair bit of gaming and am in the market for a new video card. However limiting myself to only those with DVI ports is turning out to be more of a problem than I had expected. The obvious solution is to get a DP or HDMI to DVI cable or converter.

My concern is largely born from how most specify they only support resolutions up to 1080p, sometimes specifying 1920x1080. I know my resolution is right at the cusp of some limit (it's past the transfer capacity of a single-link DVI cable). So long as I find a converter/cable that supports my resolution, is there any disadvantage of getting a graphics card that doesn't natively support DVI? Stuttering, tearing, blurring, lag...?

Last edited: