• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do Driver crashes limit O/C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DVL

Hello all...

I have a BFG Maxcore 216 55nm GTX 260 and am trying to overclock it. I'm using rivatuner to do the o/c, and monitor temps, and clock speeds. I'm also using 3d Mark Vantage Pro to benchmark with.

Now I've started out just raising the core to see where I could get it maxed at, making sure the shader is double what I have the core set to. However once I get to 750 core = 1500 shader, I get a driver crash, that reverts my gpu to low power mode with a core clock of 400, and the only way to get full control of my card, i.e. clock speeds again is a system reboot.

I get this pop up in my taskbar.

drivererror.png

Is that driver crash letting me know I've reached my o/c limit, or is this common for you've reached your o/c limit? Is it some other error I need to fix so that I can continue to o/c. My temps are fine just breaking 50c during benching. I feel like I can go alot further but that driver crash keeps holding me back!

What can I do?

Aynjell

Hello all...

I have a BFG Maxcore 216 55nm GTX 260 and am trying to overclock it. I'm using rivatuner to do the o/c, and monitor temps, and clock speeds. I'm also using 3d Mark Vantage Pro to benchmark with.

Now I've started out just raising the core to see where I could get it maxed at, making sure the shader is double what I have the core set to. However once I get to 750 core = 1500 shader, I get a driver crash, that reverts my gpu to low power mode with a core clock of 400, and the only way to get full control of my card, i.e. clock speeds again is a system reboot.

I get this pop up in my taskbar.

drivererror.png

Is that driver crash letting me know I've reached my o/c limit, or is this common for you've reached your o/c limit? Is it some other error I need to fix so that I can continue to o/c. My temps are fine just breaking 50c during benching. I feel like I can go alot further but that driver crash keeps holding me back!

What can I do?

It means you've gone past your limit.

Aynjell

Well then...

Do you think Nvidia purposefully encodes some o/c limit into the drivers?

Nope. This is an issue with your card. Check your temps, also it could be voltage related. What frequencies are you at (stable)?

Myself, I get 734 on the core, but I have no ide4a what my shader is at. I believe I brought the shaders down due to stability and focused primarily on bringing everything up to maximum performance levels... might as well oc all 3 clock rates to thier max, right?

OP
DVL

DVL

Nope. This is an issue with your card. Check your temps, also it could be voltage related. What frequencies are you at (stable)?

Myself, I get 734 on the core, but I have no ide4a what my shader is at. I believe I brought the shaders down due to stability and focused primarily on bringing everything up to maximum performance levels... might as well oc all 3 clock rates to thier max, right?

My temps have been fine, the highest I hit was 50 c. I don't know how, or if there even is a way to adjust the voltage on a BFG card. I know EVGA makes those nice utilities for that.

Last I ran stable was 725 core, 1450 shader. 50c top temp.

So basically I have to find the highest shader figure that won't cause the driver to fail, and hope the core can do half that? Then go on to mem?