• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i have a bad chip???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matrix78

i have a XP1600 today i finaly got my MoBo, well i put everything together, start it up... nothing everything turns on but it didnt go anywhere from there... so i start taking everything out and starting it wiht on part at a time, well after everything was out and all i had in there was the chip, mem and grafix card when i hit the power button, it turns on for a second then shuts right back off... if i pull the chip out and try again the thing turns on nd stays on :mad: :mad: :mad: i dont know what to try next?? i'm guessing that the chip has to be bad????????

help please!!

MoBo = At7-Max2
Mem = Corsair 3200 512MB
Chip = XP1600
PSU = Antec 450W

chachmarach

Is your motherboard set to shut off if the CPU fan quits.I forgot that my CPU fan wasn't plugged into the motherboard and I switched it in the bios to shut off if the fan quit.I have an Abit KX7-333R and it would fire up for a second and then shut right off again.Sounds similar to what is happening to you.You have likely tried this or know about it already though.Just a thought.

OP
Matrix78

Matrix78

ya know it could be. . . i dont have a CPU fan cause its water cooled, i'll plug on of my other fans it to it the CPU fan spot right now and see what happens. . . . .

chachmarach

I would try disabling it in the bios under health status though because sometimes they can be picky about the fans that are used.You for sure tried a fan with the 3 wires that has an RPM sensor?Can you get into the bios??I think one of the keys like insert or delete will get you into the bios and bypass the quick power on self test??

OP
Matrix78

Matrix78

i cant get anywhere near the bios... as soon as i hit the power button it tuns on/off instantly. . . .i do notice tho that if i hook a LED up to the susppend sensor the light comes on and stays on... so i'm thinking the thing is turning on and instantly going into suspend mode. . . ????? but i dont see why, i've tried clearing the CMOS by the cmos jumper that shuts it all off and then it jsut does the same thing powers up for a split second shuts off and the suspend light comes on

OP
Matrix78

Matrix78

i've just noticed another thing thats happening... when the MoBo shuts itself off the chip in the Lower Right of this picture gets burning hot . .
AT7-MAX2_pic6.jpg

chachmarach

That sure is a sweet board.I am having touble holding back and waiting for the Nforce 2 or KT400A boards.Did you buy the equipment locally?You could take it in to wherever and get it tested.If it was the memory or the Video card you would get beeps I would think.I guess it could be anything, if that chip in the corner is getting really hot maybe even the MB is bad.You don't have another cpu you could swap out and try?I am not sure what else to try, I have never had a problem like that.I wish I could help you more with this.

OP
Matrix78

Matrix78

I'M A DUMB A S S

OMG i'm SO stupid

ok i took the whole thing aprt from the start cause it wasnt working right... well when i did that i took the heat sink off. . . . . . guess what it has a safe mode thermal sensor.... without the heat sink the chip is hell'a hot and thats what kept shutting the system down, it was protecting me from my stupidity .. . . ahhhhh to have a PC again!!!!