• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have a cooling problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SDNick484

I built a system over the weekend and have been running into trouble which I believe may be either cooling or power related. I picked up a P4 Prescott (2.8E), an ECS 848P-A mobo, ATI Radeon 9600XT, a 512MB stick of Corsair PC3200 400MHz DDR RAM, and a SATA Maxtor 160GB drive. The case I went with was $50 and included a 400W power supply (generic I'm sure). I also swapped the Intel CPU fan/heatsink for a Mad Dog CopperChill ($20 at CompUSA). The CPU runs at 55 degrees Celsius when I check the temp in BIOS.

The problems in Windows are automatic restarts. The only heavy load I have tried was installing the Halo Demo (the machine automatically rebooted twice before it let me install all the way through). O also had it reboot at other random times as well.

In Linux, I ran into problems installing Fedora Core 2. First off, Anaconda produced the following exception when Hyper-Threading was enabled:

CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004

however disabling HT let me proceed. The install froze multiple times, mainly when I was assigning my partitions during disk druid (but not when they were being written to the drive). The other times it froze was during the actual installation (Eg. when GCC or GIMP was being written, the computer freezes and I have to physically hit the reset button).

Does this sound like a power or cooling problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

attitudx

Xtreme refugee
I have heard that some prescotts run hotter than normal p4. I would say that 55 for a pentium is kinda high since i have a p4 2.6 and idle oced at 3.3 on stock cooling is only 34 and loaded with halo runs 38 degrees. I would check the mounting of the HSF/what kind of thermal paste did you use? Umm case cooling and such

Shuzzy

well your gonna want to buy a good qualitiy psu for that prescott. the generic 400w psu you have now most likely does'nt push anything near 400w. secondly, your gonna want to get way better cooling for that prescott as they run much hotter then p4 northwoods. thirdly, your gonna prolly need to work on your case temps as well. all of this combined can cause a very unstable system. if your processor is 55 degrees in the bios, it's prolly running over 70 degrees when its actually being pressed. that is very hot. i would try and work these things out as soon as possible before something gives and you lose some components. good luck.

Yuriman

I see several problems.

1. The power supply might be causing you problems. Newegg sells sparkle and fortron 350w's for about $30, and they are the best you can get(in that price range of course).

2. Did you use thermal paste? If not, that can be causing it. The heatsink looks ok, but you could have done far better for the price.

3. ECS motherboards have bed reputations. My friend had 3 die on him in 6 months, before he decided to buy a better board. They became unstable at first, then finaly stopped working.

4. Work on your case cooling. Make sure you have at least 1 intake and one exhaust fan, other than the power supply. Preferably more.

OP
S

SDNick484

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Things I should have noted in my original post:

The case is completely open at the moment, I will work on case cooling when I get the CPU back into reasonable numbers. I had a feeling the power supply was junk and will definitely go for the one suggested on newegg (is 350W enough power for everything?). The CPU fan came with thermal paste on it, but I am not too impressed with the fan. Any recommendations, preferably $20-40 range? Allegedly I can return the fan to CompUSA, but even if I can't I would like to go for a stronger one. Is there a guide to removing a fan/sink from a CPU after it's installed on a mobo? Finally, the only reason I went with the ECS board was because it was a steal at Fry's ($178 for P42.8E and that mobo total!).

Any recommendations for particular power supplies? I did a search on newegg and noticed both sparkle and fortron had multiple power supplies rated at 350W for various prices and I was wondering if I should look for anything in particular.

Thanks again for all the responses so far.

Last edited:

asdasd

the fortron/sparkle power supply your want is either this one powersupply 1 , or this one powersupply 2 . Powersupply 1 and Powersupply 2 are both very powerful. However, powersupply 2 is supposedly the more powerful of the two. As for the noise, powersupply 1 is quieter than powersupply 2.

OP
S

SDNick484

Well I picked up some Artic Silver 5 Thermal Adhesive, removed the adhesive that came with the CopperChill, applied the AC5 to the CPU, and replaced the heatsink, but it seemed to have no effect. The BIOS lists the CPU as idling in the low to mid 50's celsius with the CopperChill and 57-58 with the stock intel fan and heatsink. Could this be a sign of a faulty CPU? If it helps, the BIOS lists the following values for power:

CPU Vcore: 1.37V
1.5V: 1.50V
3.3V: 3.31V
5.0V: 5.13V
Battery Voltage: 3.37V

Yuriman

THERMAL ADHESIVE?!!? ARE YOU MAD?

Thermal paste friend. Btw, you just epoxied your cpu to its heatsink, good luck ever getting it off. Did I miss something maybe?

anwar1337

Oh god... I hope he didnt get adhesive hopefully he made a type for thermal PASTE not ADHESIVE because those are 2 totally different things in the thermal world... And if u did get ADHESIVE it gonna be a tough time getting that heatsink off that cpu... :\

OP
S

SDNick484

I meant paste, in particular the paste found here. Anyways, I am still running into heating issues, I called Intel and they claim that although 56 degrees C is high, it is within operating range. I will swing by Fry's tonight and pick up a better heatsink to see if that will make a differnce, I might just grab a new motherboard too.

OP
S

SDNick484

Great, thanks again for all the suggestions everyone. I'll post whether this resolves the situation.

Dcasole

SDNick484, oh I am sure it is your cooling. I too experienced Blues screens etc .

if you are going to run a prescott you will need great cooling .

When I first installed my prescott it idled at 60C and over 70C under a load not overclocked :bang head

I did a little research and found out that Intel recomends a "Themally Advantaged Chassis" (see the link in my signature) and one heck of a power supply

I added this duct to my case along with an 80mm fan inside the duct for good measure now my temps are at 42C at idle and 55C under a heavy load(48 when gaming) overclocked at 3.59 using the stock HSF

I then added an antec true power 430 ( I will be changeing this out) as my 350 just did not cut it

I have a SP-94 comming this week as I am looking to lower the temps farther

I now have one happy overclocked and stable Prescott :)

Dave

OP
S

SDNick484

The case I bought, SOHO H2 by MGE seems to be Thermally Advanted (it at least has a cone on the side like in the picture. I didn't make it down to Fry's, but did pick up the PowerChill from CompUSA (same brand as the CopperChill), it's a variable speed fan which I have set to max speed (6000RPM). According to the BIOS, the CPU is still hot, but SiSandra claim's the temp is now about 48 with no load. After running the CPU test in SiSandra 15 times, the CPU Reached a max temp of 61, however the that temp is reached almost immediately after the first test is initiated.

I attempted to install Fedora again and it still freezes (as well as CPU panics).

Dcasole, how do you like the MSI 865 PE? I am tempted since it has the better chipset. I wouldn't have gone with the ECS, but $180 for a P4 2.8E and mobo was too good to pass up.

Dcasole

Dcasole, how do you like the MSI 865 PE? I am tempted since it has the better chipset.

I have had great luck with this board . In the begining I ran into some chalanges the were mostly due to my inexperence but thru the help of the people on the MSI forums I now have one of the most stable boards I have ever owned

http://forum.msi.com.tw/

This board handles the demands of my prescott :mad:

Dave

OP
S

SDNick484

Well I made it back to Fry's and picked up a new mobo (FIC 865 Dynasty) and gave it a shot. The BIOS reported a 6 degree difference in temperature using the same case and fan setup (with the stock Intel fan). So now I am down to 49 degrees when idle, and I will likely swap the stock heatsink for a better one and add some Arctic Silver 5 to cut it down a few more degrees. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.