• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have a dead P4B533?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChuckS

I'm in desparate need of help.

I just got a new P4B533, 512 MB PC2700, Enermax 365 PS, and P4 2.4B from Newegg to build a new system. I took my Leadtek Ti4400, hard drive, CD-ROM and DVD drives from my working AMD system, so I know they work.

After installing everything, I can't get it to post. Initially I had an error where the CPU was seated correctly, so I fixed that. But now, the montior powers up, but no boot up. Get the same screen as if I had left the video cable unplugged. Tried swapping a second monitor and still same problem. I tried swapping out the Ti4400 for an old GTS card that I know works, and still the same problem.

Is my motherboard bad? Or is there some other problem? Thanks in advance for any help...

CaptBill

Recheck that everything is seated all the way in. Also make sure that you didn't bend a pin on the cpu. Is this the raid version. If so make sure that you have you hd on the right ide channel. There is a jumper to enable or disable the raid. Just recheck all your jumpers and bios setting.

leathersmt

mine stopped too,

that happened to me too, take out the memory sticks if you can and try one at a time. , I'm sitting here on a laptop, because my new one died all the way....I believe (hope!) that it is because the power supply died, now the on off , doesn't even work.
first the sound started dropping....then I started getting a 3.3 voltage drop...... then it dropped offline altogether, then when I waited a while, it started fine, but only ran for a few minutes, then stopped running altogether, now it will not even boot, just the board light is on..... I have been told, it is probably the power supply, and it is over a year old kingstar 400w.......I hope so.....looking at the cheifton right now....power supply could be your problem too....

P4PE 2.53
geforce 2 200 at present
radeon 9700 on the way!
audigy 2 platinum

leathersmt

mine just did the same things to a P4PE, took it out, and here is what happened,
I have a serious problem.
I took out that P4PE board and loaded in a P4S333. I only put in two sticks of memory, and the vid card. I got the thing to power up. Then while it powers up, it says, thank you ASUS, that the self check is done, and it brings up a window that says it didnt shut down last time right, so do I want to start windows normally, as soon as I hit enter, the whole thing freezes....... I have repooted, ten times, and still the same thing. SO I take the boot disks for xp, load them, then everytime it does the boot disksm, then goes to load the cd, nothing happens.....did i ruin a hardrive....it wasn't the power supply , like I thought.......help

leathersmt

just had the same problem,

and I am having to reformat the hardrive and re install the boot disks. It would not recognise windows either, so now I have finished the formating I am doing the boot disks now I will keep you posted. COUld be the same thing for you.

leathersmt

also I forgot to mention, ya know them four pin connectors, the power things, well I found one of them was backed out so that it was partially out of the socket. so the power was not going to it, that may explain some of the stuff...

leathersmt

it's working, cant tell you why it lost windows, but it is formatting now and loading the xp program....I hope this helps. It sure had/has me worried, I still have not tried the P4PE motherboard that this hardrive died in yet.....

Hawk

The p4 has a 4 prong 12v line that must be connected to the mother board (unlike p3 and AMD) I think they are mostly black and yellow wires. Did you connect this? look for an aporx 1/2x 1/2 inch 4 prong scoket on the board. Hope thats all it is. Good luck!

leathersmt

Hate to tell you this, but,

I jad the same problem. I had to reformat the hardrive and re install windows. EVERYTHING I tried would not work. It was a long night. I still dont know if my new P4PE will boot up, but at least , my other puter the 1.8 motherboard is working, so I will put this stuff in it, , and after breakfast, I will try the P4PE again.

OP
C

ChuckS

Thanks for your replies. Found the problem, I think. There's a little crack in the CPU socket. I found that I can left the CPU up at one end, even though the lever's locked down. I reseated it again and got the "CPU not present" vocal alert. So, I guess I'll RMA this back to Newegg.