• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i have a lucky cpu, or is it a sign of its demise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dregan

I jsut recently boguht a P4 1.6a , asus p4b533 mobo, and soem samsung PC2700 ram, i bought this with the intention of overclocking from the begining, anyway everything seems ok except oen small detail, witch is bugging me, i am clocked at 2.66 Ghz and default voltage np ( 166 FSB with mem ratio of 1:1 for 333mhz on the dot ) i have a asus geforce 4 4400 clocked at 300 / 600, and my agp / pci are locked at 66 / 33, my 3dmarks are scoring in the right place around 13,000 , all my games runnign sweet, but sandra gives me bogus scores somestimes on the cpu bench, sometimes it shows up right around ALU 5138, but sometimes it shows up as 2800 or so, ill run it again get like 3400 or so then finaly it will go back to 5100+ but my 3dmark scores never change nore does any of my frame rate test ever go down, is this a sign the cpu is strugling or having problems, or could it be jsut a bug or quirk in sandra 2002 SP1, oh yea my cpu runs cool also, after i put soem artic silver on it and burned the cpu in a few days max load yelds just 46C and around 35C idle.
any imput is welcome, og yea i can post at 2.8 ghz no problem but only if i bump my cpu volts to 1.6, like i said it does up to 2.66 default volts

holy jeez!!! I'd say you have one heck of a lucky cpu. Mine can hit around 2.5, and i thought that was pretty good. I'd say the problem is with sandra, as long as you aren't having any problems, and all other benches are ok, i'd say your fine.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

-CPFitz-

edit: your last name wouldn't happen to be reagan would it?

I did notice one thing about my cpu its from the Phillipines and from the cpu database iv only seen one other cpu from the Phillipines listed ther, should i go for 2.8 with a 1.6 cpu volts then ? or what is considerd to high temps for a cpu i think it got around 56C under full load when i had it at 2.8, im using stock heatsink and fan btw

Clock throttling is when the P4 gets so hot, that it clocks itself down so that it doesnt overheat and fry. Get a hardware monitor and check your processor temps. Check the settings in the BIOS to see when clock throttling will engage.

BTW you're really lucky, I cant even get my 2.4B to 2.8 at 1.65V.

[email protected] that a nice 1.6a you've got there.
If your temps are accurate you're way below throttling temp.
I'd say Sandra's probably acting up, it does at times
Enjoy that nice 66% overclock
:)

I use the asus prob utlilty that came with my mobo, iv sat ther and played UT2003 in a window this saterday for 6 hours with prob runnign in the corner, the temp never went over 46C and was under 100 % cpu use according to windows xp cpu thingy in the cntl alt del panel, i futher tested with sandra burn in wizard same results on temps with 100 full test ran, after that i ran 3dmark 2001 in demo loop mode all night woke up was still running, checked prob still 46C under full load, I think bios it set to 80C default to give cpu heat warnings, liek isaid iv seen no problems other then sandra scores being off sometimes

Maybe just something in the background thats decided to try and process when sandra is going. Make sure you disable all your XP services that dont need to be running.

NOpe nothing like that, i dotn run anything in background, not even in my system tray, only asus prob witch dosent load on startup, i load anything i want after boot up, thus when i do benchmarks its from a fresh boot with nothing loaded

hi, and welcome to the forums.

you have one sweet cpu there.

forget sandra...I only know about the mem bandwith problems, yet I don't dought your findings.

listen closely and try a few things I say.

first get an AX-478 and an adjustable fan like the ys-tech 80mm.

this will help with high temps and help keep you case as quiet as possable.( load temps should stay under 50c)

next, start to push to 188fsb.....

you will have to up your core voltage....yet try not to go past 1.75v( just for long term safety ).

if your lucky you could do 3.0ghz......

you'll have to test for stabillity....say prime95 for starters.

good luck and keep us posted.

I wish I was you.

mica

Thanks, ill give that a try, we have a place here in town thats local to me that specializes in nothing but overclockign and cooling, www.plycon.com, so i can pick that stuff up no problem, never heard of prime95 but ill do a search on that and grab the utilility, will be about 2 weeks before i can buy a new heatsink and fan. will repost when i do, and thanks for the info.

I'm always here, so feal free to pm me or reply to ask anything else.

again good luck

mica

( you know I hate you.:p )jk

man... it's scary to think what this baby could do with a cooler heatsink and some extra voltage... that chip is a gem, no doubt

micamica1217 said:
you'll have to test for stabillity....say prime95 for starters.

I would also recommend using CPUBurn & Runprio for stress testing. CPUBurn will push your CPU decently, but you can set the priority level in Runprio to high, which pushes your CPU further. On my system, I got an additional 3 degrees Celcius (air cooled) over the temps generated by Prime95.

Well i fixed my sandra problem, I uped my core voltage to 1.6 and now im getting a constant scrore of around 5100, the only thing i can figure is that even though my cpu will run 2.6 at Default maybe it just isnt gettign all the juice it needs to run 100% , witch is really odd cuz last night i downloaded and ran that prime95 thing for 5 hours and it didnt report any problems, I did the benchmark right after and it gave me this result :
Best time for 256K FFT length: 9.803 ms.
Best time for 320K FFT length: 12.549 ms.
Best time for 384K FFT length: 15.178 ms.
Best time for 448K FFT length: 18.245 ms.
Best time for 512K FFT length: 20.359 ms.
Best time for 640K FFT length: 26.652 ms.
Best time for 768K FFT length: 31.848 ms.
Best time for 892K FFT length: 39.250 ms.
Best time for 1024K FFT length: 42.867 ms.
Best time for 1280K FFT length: 60.247 ms.
Best time for 1536K FFT length: 75.579 ms.
Best time for 1792K FFT length: 92.950 ms.

Anyway this was still at default core voltage, yet sandra was giving me a ALU score of 3000, so now iv raised the core to 1.6 sandra is scoring me correctly, i ran prime95 again it checked out and still have the same benchmark score on it also, iv posted a pic of my findings here if anyone like to see:

http://www.flametongue.com/dregan/Overclock.JPG

P.S I tried for 2.8 ( 175 x 16 ) today ran stable with core at 1.7 but i had a cpu temp of 51C under full load, will try for the 188 later today to see if it even post

P.S I tried for 2.8 ( 175 x 16 ) today ran stable with core at 1.7 but i had a cpu temp of 51C under full load, will try for the 188 later today to see if it even post

good luck...we are all rooting for you.

just to let you know.....

I recieved a heads up last night that there are some bad AX-478's
being sold right now.

so when looking for a new HS please look at the alpha pal or the swifty 3000.

I would sell you mine, yet I would like to keep it incase something goes wrong with my new water cooling rig.

mica

Back