• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have a Virus in my memory? Rimsoc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KerryrreK

Okay, when I first got my computer (about three weeks ago, on the very first day of using my cable internet) I was deleting Civilization 3 so I could reinstall it (it was having problems with this patch I installed), I then got a red screen saying I had the "rimsoc" virus or something that is spelled similar, and it asked what I wanted to do with the infected file, I chose to delete it, but later realized this red screen wasn't something normal to windows and my selection probably meant nothing, well anyways, I have scanned the comp with my Norton Antivirus, I get nothing bad. BUT, today I did a benchmark with 3dMark for the first time since I got the internet (all startup disabled, cable disconnected, just restarted with a fresh defrag) and I got a 7802! this is horrible considering I was getting 12334 at the same settings! What is going on? Can someone please help me!

Kerry

DDR-PIII

Disabled
that red screen was a norton screen... get the newest updates and then scan agian... if nothing works just format and install everything agian :)

OP
KerryrreK

KerryrreK

I've got the newest updates for all my Notron stuff, but nothing is detected. Do you think I have a virus based on the score change? I would hate to do a format and reinstall, but I may when I switch to Windows ME. Also, I've read that if a virus resides in the memory a format won't help at all.

Kerry

naif

KerryrreK said:
Also, I've read that if a virus resides in the memory a format won't help at all.

Kerry

Depends, if you use a clean bootable floppy disk and format the harddrive from there, it might remove the virus. But if the virus is sitting in the Master Boot Records, then I guess you will have to repartition your harddrive or delete the Master boot records by issuing the following commond from the dos prompt which you booted from the clean floppy disk

"fdisk /mbr"

OP
KerryrreK

KerryrreK

Hooray! I fixed it, read a post in the video card section about this same thing happening because the vid drivers go bad, after a fresh reinstall 13447! There's no virus in that memory! (I hope) Thanx anyways guys, I may be back looking for a good DOS disk formatter to put on a cd when I load Windows ME on here (running Win 98se currently)

Kerry