• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need a CPU shim?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karl04

I heard that they can protect the CPU from getting crushed by the heavy heatsinks? like Volcano etc.

But, i also heard from somewhere that Heatsinks with fans that are like 7000rpm dont last but a year. is that true?

or not?

cause i want to get Volcano Cu+ or Volcano 7.

? help?

Karl

yes, they can protect the CPU.
No, you don't need one, but it's a nice safety net for some. The real problem is crushing the core while installing.
No, High RPM Heatsinks don't die after 1 year.
Make sure that if you do get a shim you use it properly. Make sure the heatsink is seated properly. I've heard horror stories about that.

you probably wont need it, I thought i would, but didnt either, its easy, just take your time while installing the heatsink, and dont be nervous

Yeah, probably wont need a shim, but if it makes you feel safe, grab one. Also heatsinks definetly dont die after a year (and decent fans dont either) so you should be ok there also.

Back