• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chev19elle68

Registered
Hey guys, a couple of weeks ago I accidentally shorted out my video card with my headphone jack by connecting the monitor cable and the case. Initially I thought that the only thing that I had fried was my video card. That being said, I ordered up a new vid card and put it in, but still my system was not stable. Of course that made me believe my motherboard was shot as well. So I decided that if I have a blown mobo I might as well just build a new rig. I've got all of the parts in the mail and they should be here in a couple of days, but earlier tonight I was prepping my case for the new components and I noticed that the 4-pin ATX plug of my PSU had some charring in two of the leads. This makes me really nervous because I did not order a new PSU for my new rig. I'm starting to think that I might keep having issues if I continue to use this PSU, but I really dont want to spend another $100 or so on a PSU. Has anybody had any similar experiences with charred PSU leads? Haha, hopefully somebody can tell me if I should just bite the bullet and order a new PSU or if i'll be fine. Thanks guys.

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Welcome to the forums!

The charring you mention can come from one of two things: loose connections in the connector, or a failure in the PSU. Usually, it's from excessive ripple caused by failed capacitors. It's most common to older CWT build Antec units like the Truepower II. It can also be caused by bad caps on the mainboard.

You may very well be in need of a new PSU. What make/model PSU is yours?

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Welcome to the forums!

The charring you mention can come from one of two things: loose connections in the connector, or a failure in the PSU. Usually, it's from excessive ripple caused by failed capacitors. It's most common to older CWT build Antec units like the Truepower II. It can also be caused by bad caps on the mainboard.

Chev,

When you can list what power supply you have for OW, list your new system build too. You may not need a $100 power supply.

OP
C

chev19elle68

Registered
The PSU I have is a knockoff brand named Turbolink, its a 500W supply that I picked up at a local CompUSA about a year or two ago. My new rig consists of an e8400 on a Gigabyte DS3L mobo with 4g of pc8500 from OCZ and an 8800GT from MSI.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
The PSU I have is a knockoff brand named Turbolink, its a 500W supply that I picked up at a local CompUSA about a year or two ago. My new rig consists of an e8400 on a Gigabyte DS3L mobo with 4g of pc8500 from OCZ and an 8800GT from MSI.

TurboLink? :eek:

I suggest you replace that with something better made. There are plenty of great deals on quality psu's. These are my favorites:

SilverStone
OCZ
FSP/Sparkle
Antec
Corsair
PC P&C

Y0u really don't have to spend a fortune nowadays to get a good quality made psu.

OP
C

chev19elle68

Registered
I doubt there was any loose connections or anything of that sort, especially when I know for a fact that I shorted out my computer. When I hit the headphone jack on my vid. card my computer shut off immediately afterwards and it was about a week later that I started to have some system failures. I'm just about 99% sure that is why I have the charring in the PSU connector. I understand that charring can come from a few different things, but I think it would be too large of a coincidence if there was some other failure that did it. Thank you guys for you quick responses!

OP
C

chev19elle68

Registered
Aye, I agree that I should. I picked it up out a couple years back because I needed to get my computer up and running again, and that's all they had in stock. I know I need a better PSU and would like to upgrade it eventually, I just know that I have better things to spend my money on atm and am just wondering if I'd be harming my new components by using this ghetto one until I can pick up a good PSU from a reputable firm.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Aye, I agree that I should. I picked it up out a couple years back because I needed to get my computer up and running again, and that's all they had in stock. I know I need a better PSU and would like to upgrade it eventually, I just know that I have better things to spend my money on atm and am just wondering if I'd be harming my new components by using this ghetto one until I can pick up a good PSU from a reputable firm.

Well I would'nt leave it on 24/7, but in my opinion I suggest swapping it out asap. I would'nt trust that thing powering my rigs. Poorly made units are unpredictable and can fry and kill the pc at any given moment.

What budget are you working with for the new psu?

OP
C

chev19elle68

Registered
My credit card is my budget at the moment. I'm transitioning between jobs right now and I'm not sure when my new job will start, and I know I've already spent more than I should on the other components. So, as little as possible I'd have to say. Im perusing Newegg right now to see what kind of options there are.

RollingThunder

Chevelle,

Sounds like "Penny wise, dollar foolish" to me. You have $500 in new components and you're hesitant on replacing a power supply that was questionable in the first place, not counting whether it's any good now.

A good 450w will power your new unit and they don't cost $100 for a good one.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Chevelle,

Sounds like "Penny wise, dollar foolish" to me. You have $500 in new components and you're hesitant on replacing a power supply that was questionable in the first place, not counting whether it's any good now.

A good 450w will power your new unit and they don't cost $100 for a good one.

I gotta agree with RT on this :thup:

RT, good to see ya old friend!

OP
C

chev19elle68

Registered
Ah, you guys are right. It looks like I'll be making the trip to the local Fry's tomorrow to pick up a PSU. I'm already keeping the UPS tracking page on refresh for my components from Newegg, I'd hate to push back my build date another couple of days waiting on shipping again. I know Fry's carries Corsair, and from what you were sayin Neb and from various other forums I've consulted on this build, I think they're the ones who will be getting my business in this department. Thank you guys for such quick responses, it's really appreciated.

OP
C

chev19elle68

Registered
Both of you agree that 450W will work just fine for me? I've got an e8400 with an AC Freezer 7 cooler, 8800GT from MSI, the Gigabyte DS3L Mobo, 2x2g pc8500 from OCZ, 3 case fans and....well that's pretty much all I run.

RollingThunder

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Both of you agree that 450W will work just fine for me? I've got an e8400 with an AC Freezer 7 cooler, 8800GT from MSI, the Gigabyte DS3L Mobo, 2x2g pc8500 from OCZ, 3 case fans and....well that's pretty much all I run.

Yup. These 775's don't draw alot of power. Unless you're going SLI and you're going with 4 or more harddrives, the Corsair 450w will be plenty for your needs. Look at what RT is running in his setup. He's got the 520 version, but then again he's still running an AMD.

OP
C

chev19elle68

Registered
Alrighty, that sounds good. I will not be running SLI and only 2 harddrives. Thank you for the help guys. : )

RollingThunder

Chevelle,

I guessing about 250 watts max with your setup without any overclocks if you are inclined to do that. Even some decent overclocks may not reach 300w. That's 50% overhead and more than enough. Those new Intels are neat, good performance and low power requirements (most of them).

CPU=65w
Vid card= ~80w

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Chevelle,

I guessing about 250 watts max with your setup without any overclocks if you are inclined to do that. Even some decent overclocks may not reach 300w. That's 50% overhead and more than enough. Those new Intels are neat, good performance and low power requirements (most of them).

CPU=65w
Vid card= ~80w

RT in for the win! :)

GreenJelly

Welcome to the forums!

Thats not fair... their is allot of really low cost units that BLOW!

HEHE
GJ