• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just to play Devil's Advocate:
You can use a multimeter for things other than testing a PSU, while saving money.
Jumping the PSU can be done with a paperclip, and it is something literally anyone can do with a good guide (which there are a ton of).

You are and were absolutely correct however, my point is that it is easier to use the device I listed. I have a multi-meter but It is far easier for me to troubleshoot with the tester. Additionally, I don't have to know anything about electronics to use the tester. You have to learn at least some small bit about electronics AND about the pin-outs of the PSU to use the multi-meter. I don't even need to sort out those many guides that are out there to find the one that works for me. ;)

You are and were absolutely correct however, my point is that it is easier to use the device I listed. I have a multi-meter but It is far easier for me to troubleshoot with the tester. Additionally, I don't have to know anything about electronics to use the tester. You have to learn at least some small bit about electronics AND about the pin-outs of the PSU to use the multi-meter. I don't even need to sort out those many guides that are out there to find the one that works for me. ;)

And I'm not arguing that the device you linked isn't easier. Like I said, just playing Devil's Advocate :)

why can't he just jumper the psu and plug a fan into it?

Because if a PSU is running 10V on the 12V rail a fan will still run, but the system won't.

Back