• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do i need ECC memory for 2GB PC3200 on i875

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ol' man

I am going to upgrade this summer and put 2GB of ram in a 875 chipset. Will I need to get ECC ram? I went through the data sheets and could find nothing. I hope regular non-ecc will work.

You will want non ECC...unless you plan on making this a server...and in that case the MB will require ECC...

Just thumbed through my manual and don't see anything about requiring ecc for amounts greater than 1gb, but of course for serious service ecc is cheap insurance.

It will be a work station rig. I had 6 presentations this semester and had to do alot of research and I really ran out of ram every time. I ran out fast. I don't doubt that even if I had 1GB I am sure I still would have ran out. For me right now the PCU is importent but more importent is having alot of ram.

For instance at one time I would open say 15 .pdf's, run image scanning software, run a chemical modeling program, open numerous IE6's, photoshop etc........

the modeling software took 15 minutes for its iterations while I could not shut odwn the other progs also. Just for this project I added another monitor to my rad9500 DD. This is getting crazy. I really needed HT or a dual CPU system and alot more ram this semester. I even considered running dual systems with two keyboards and the bit networked together.

CHEEZE

Man, what do you do study? Nuclear physics??

I cant remember the last time I used more the 512Mb or RAM. :eek:

Kam

It will be a workstation he said...so a workstation will be doing like 10x's that of a normal home system so they tend to need more memory to run smoother...

Getting the ECC memory would mean helping to guard against potential memory errors and could suck if you're in the middle of something. I've read it's recommended for servers, workstations, etc. If you want to be cautious, then ECC is the way to go.

The reason I am concerned is because I remember some of the nforce would not allow over 1gb without it being ECC and the BX would not allow over 768 mb without it being ecc supposedly.

Are you thinking of registered dimms instead of ecc? Most platforms that had limitations on amount of ram required registered dimms - ecc was optional.

TC said:
Are you thinking of registered dimms instead of ecc? Most platforms that had limitations on amount of ram required registered dimms - ecc was optional.

Okay then that is what I mean:eek:

Yes indeed registered!

Back