• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need new NB cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

I have just been told by a friend that getting better cooling on the northbridge chipset will lower your cpu temps by 5-10c and allow higher FSB. Right now I have an A7N8X non-d v1.06 and it has what looks like a pretty crappy aluminum nb chipset heatsink. Will replacing the heatsink with something like a Vantec Iceberg really help? Or is it possible to mount a fan on top of the existing heatsink?

Right now my temps from MBM5 are:
Idle - 30-31c (cpu socket), 47-50c (cpu diode), 25-27c (case)
Load - 34-35c (cpu socket), 58-60c (cpu diode), 28-30c (case)

Is it strange for the difference in idle/load cpu temps to be 10c? Should I really be looking at the cpu socket temps for "cpu temperature"?

PCGUY112887

Could it allow you to get a higher FBS? Yes
Lower your CPU temp.. em no..... I don't think it would make the CPU temp change at all....

bobmanfoo

Disabled
ap673 said:
I have just been told by a friend that getting better cooling on the northbridge chipset will lower your cpu temps by 5-10c and allow higher FSB. Right now I have an A7N8X non-d v1.06 and it has what looks like a pretty crappy aluminum nb chipset heatsink. Will replacing the heatsink with something like a Vantec Iceberg really help? Or is it possible to mount a fan on top of the existing heatsink?

Right now my temps from MBM5 are:
Idle - 30-31c (cpu socket), 47-50c (cpu diode), 25-27c (case)
Load - 34-35c (cpu socket), 58-60c (cpu diode), 28-30c (case)

Is it strange for the difference in idle/load cpu temps to be 10c? Should I really be looking at the cpu socket temps for "cpu temperature"?
Cpu temp is the more accurate and the one you should be concerned with, and the stock nb sink should suffice, but it never hurts to upgrade.
your cpu temps will drop 0 degrees. might help fsb a little, but didn't help me any. it will probably help if you are increasing the chipset voltage, but my mobo doesn't allow for that. i went from the stock passive heat sink to a Iceberq 4 with no noticable performance increase, i had the iceberq laying around so just decided to use AS silver adhesive to epox it on so no harm done, sure looks cool though :clap:

Mr.Radar

While most people here go by the socket temp (mainly because most board ONLY report the socket temp), the diode temp is the true temperature of the CPU. Also, PCGuy is right that cooling your NB won't lower your CPU tempteratures. Since you already have a nice big passive heatsink on your NB, you should probably try adding a fan to it first. Most NB heatsinks are 40mm big so you'll need a 40mm or 50mm fan. If you want to buy a whole new heatsink then the Zalman Passive (w/ a fan added on), Thermalright NB-1 (an all-copper version is coming soon, and that one should be the kind of NB cooling, however the aluminum one is still very good), Swiftech MCX159-A, and MicroCool Northpole are all very good coolers to look at.

OP
ap673

ap673

ok so when I want to check my cpu temperature, as everyone here does, are my cpu temps 30-35c or 47-60c according to MBM5?

And if I do want to add a fan on my retail nb heatsink, what would you guys reccomend?

Last edited: