• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need the square 4-pin PSU connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

you can plug it and YOU DONT HAVE TO. completly optional. but apperantly it gives you a more stable voltage line for your cpu and ram....

i use it and didnt notice any improvement. but hey its there and if the cable doesnt interfer with airflow or something just plug it in

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
If you have it on your PSU and your motherboard has a receptacle for it, then definitely use it. If one or the other don't apply, then obviously you can't. For motherboards that use the +12V as a source for the regulated core voltage, any additional conductors you can add to assist the ATX connector conductors is "money in the bank".

Hoot

maxima88

Yeah, I connected mine but haven't noticed any change in voltage rails or stability. But it's still plugged in regardless.

G|-|oST

I actually got better results after unplugging the thing. Don't ask me for a rerasonable explanation on that one but its tested and true on my board. So far I am up to 235 FSB, and was previously stuck at 230 with the 4 plug connected.