• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need to lap? (sp-97)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLLestOne

I have read that lapping really helps from a lot of places. Except if you have a swiftec hs, because they come very smooth/flat stock.

I peeled off the tap of my sp-97, and WHOA! Ridges everywhere! I can hear it make a sound when rubbing my fingernail over it. I can also visually see them.

Since they look manufactured, I figured they are there for a purpose. Any help on this would be GREATLY app! I don't wanna mess up my new hs!

I have some 600&1500 grit sandpaper too.

I'll add a pic very soon of it.

OMG OMG OMG YES!!!! thermalright for some reason makes their heatsink bases rough enough to grate cheese, file toenails, and strip paint...haha maybe not THAT bad...but yes, definitely lap it, just follow the tutorial from the stickies in here

Okay thanks. I wonder why they do that? I also wondered why they give you paste. Why would you pay 50bucks for a heatsink, and then use cheap paste! lol

I'll get to lapping tonite, thanks for the quick response! I hope 600grit can take care of those ridges.

w0w, talk about tennis elbow.You can get the ridges out with 600 grit but man the work its gonna take.Even 400 takes alot of work , and thats on a HS that doesnt sound to be in that bad of condition.Rough base = 200/400/600 does a nice job.At least in my experience with a very rough base :)

start with really heavy grit and work your way to finner grit as you see fit. make sure you don't use a belt sander , use a nice flat piece of metal or a flat table. Just lay the sand papper down and do figure 8s. Always make sure its nice and flat. Most electric sanders will make it have rounded edges and not completely flat on the bottom

Hey, It's pretty ordinary. My Coolermaster Aero7+ looked pretty bad when I got it. After some lapping and a finish with 1200 grit paper it looks more like a mirror.
Remember: If you lap WAY TOO MUCH you will mess up the force that the clip pushes the HS to your cpu... And use something flat. Or else you will get 'mountains amd valleys'... That will make turn your hs into instant crap!!!!!!

I gained 5-10 degr. from lapping my hs...

PS: Where I bought it I paid 598 NOK(89$) for it. I thought that you could expect more from such an expensive hsf... OK, I know. I bought it extremly overpriced... I spank myself daily for it!

DaWiper said:
I gained 5-10 degr. from lapping my hs...
QUOTE]

:eek: :eek: i hope you meant lost!!! if you lost 10 from lapping, damn, i ought to lap my waterblocks a little more :p :cool:

i have a 947u and it is super smooth, with a tornado (hair dryer)
fan i got down to 100f.
but i might give it a test lapp to see if i lose anything

captaincascade said:
start with really heavy grit and work your way to finner grit as you see fit. make sure you don't use a belt sander , use a nice flat piece of metal or a flat table. Just lay the sand papper down and do figure 8s. Always make sure its nice and flat. Most electric sanders will make it have rounded edges and not completely flat on the bottom

NO NO NO NO PLZ do not do figure eight's, its like lapping it in circles...it creates uneven spots

just follow the lapping guidelines in the stickies here...theyll say not to do figure eights or circles

Thanks all for the reply's! I've read more up on it, and it seems that the drag, then pick up, and replace and drag in same direction is the way most people agree on doing it.

From what I've heard from people, most high quality hs's are mirror like. I took some pics of my hs, but none of them really did justice. But Believe me, it MAKES NOISE when i rub my fingernail over it, and it looks like the top of a record (or i guess the bottom too, lol)

I hope somethings is open tomorrow so I can get some 200-400 grit. I only bought 600 and 1500 :(

Once again, thanks for all the reply's. They really help me.

Back