• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do laptops and desktops use the same cpu's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Or are the laptop cpu's different somehow, smaller maybe....? I want to upgrade my 500Mhz Celeron laptop with a 550Mhz Celeron I inherited from an old desktop pc.

mjones73

Desktop processors and laptop processors are different, the laptop proc is smaller in size to fit in the laptop. Your desktop 550 won't fit in the laptop.

OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

no upgrade for me

Doh! That's what I expected.

batboy

Senior Moment
Actually, there are some exceptions, but most newer laptops use a "mobile" CPU that uses less power (to conserve the battery) and is usually smaller and more expensive. Some laptop mobos didn't use a standard socket, but rather soldered the CPU directly to the board. These were usually on older and cheaper computers.

nucro

What motherboard are you using. I just sold my Celeron 600 (CB0) to someone with a laptop. He took out his Celeron 433 and put my Celeron 600 and it worked fine. His board was a bx so if you have a bx board it should work. But he said that when he put PIII 1000 it didn't work. And he said that the celeron 600 worked because it had the vtt voltage or something :rolleyes: ?

Last edited:
OP
Arkaine23

Arkaine23

specs

Unfortunately I haven't cracked open my laptop yet... It's a fujitsu i-series lifebook. No overclocking potential or hardware-monitoring as far as I have been able to tell.

The old desktop is an Emachine that my dad is getting rid of. I don't have it yet.