• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do lcd's suffer burn in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12am

Hey, I just purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 213T lcd monitor and I was wondering if lcd's suffer image burn in? if they do what is the max ammount of time that I can leave an image on the screen without it burning in?

JCLW

No, but most LCD backlights will burn out after a (very) long while. Typically they are just fluorescent tubes.

I don't think decent CRTs burn nowadays anyway. I have a ten year old Sony Trinitron that been abused like there's no tomorrow and it doesn't have any phosphor burn.

Zippykid9

hm... i heard somewhere that lcds burn in very quickly, but that the burn in is reversible fairly easily by using a screen saver that uses up a large portion of the screen at once and most importantly is constantly shifting the color and brightness all the pixels. but, that could have been just bs.

OP
12am

12am

Ya I've also read that lcd's can burn in after time, but that can be fixed by playing something with heavy motion for the same ammount of time as the burned in image was present.

Drec

Naaaa they wouldent sell em as puter monitors if they burned in, plasmas and projection TVs do tho.

Zippykid9

ah, ok. i can see how that could have been translated to lcds, after all they do kinda look similar... as that they arent crt's. damn urban myths.

TimDgsr

ah, i think lcds can burn in.

a lot of dell laptops had the screens being replaced from what users were calling "burn in" on a certain model screen they were putting in them.

that's about all i know though.