• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do multi-monitors affect perfomance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

Does it affect performance if say i have my second monitor hooked up and i had rivatuner hardware monitor on it to see my gfx card temps and MBM5 for other stuff and itunes would it affect my gaming perfomance on the primary monitor?

ticktock123

in theory any sort of addition to a graphics card will make it run slower, Becasue if the card has to write the screen for more then 1 then it has to do twice the work. I would say as long as you don't do like the vis. for iTunes or something it should be fine. I have 2 screens for my slef and man it is the coolest thing ever so much more room.

Maviryk

It does affect performance. Try running 3dmark with multiple monitors(make sure they're all in the same resolution), and then with a single monitor. The benchmark with the single monitor will be higher.

man_utd

Of course it will, but we are talking about practical reasoning. Will you lose a lot of performance with a second monitor? As long as you are running pretty much 2d only things on it: no, not really.

Trombe

man_utd said:
Of course it will, but we are talking about practical reasoning. Will you lose a lot of performance with a second monitor? As long as you are running pretty much 2d only things on it: no, not really.

You won't notice a difference. Even while gamming. The second monitor may have resolution troubles while the game is running, but it returns to normal once you exit. This dosen't stop you from having aim windows and such open though.