• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do not know what is holding me back...HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

OK I set my FSB to 240(from 200)...run a few tests CRASH to desktop.
So I change DRAM frequency to 266, and AGP/PCI frequency to 66/33...CRASH to desktop...what the heck am I doing wrong?

OP
Chum

Chum

I have ran it at 240 FSB before with no issues(for less than an hour).
The memory is Micron ...reported as Xerox (256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Xerox (256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM)X2...everything else is set to AUTO...
Note: the normal POST screen reports ths ram running at 400 megahurtz...so I figured reducing it to 266 would allow for a stable OC.

The other times I changed the FSB to 240 and it was OK was just changing the FSB and leaving everything else at AUTO...but when I tried that this time I still had issues.

I have never messed with the voltages.

OP
Chum

Chum

Update

Turned off Hyper Threading...set memory to 400MH and AGP/PCI to 66/33.

No crashes, no lockups...Why would HT cause this?

Dcasole

Chum, I do not think it was hyper threading

some memory and chipsets do not like the divider you have chosen when running PC3200

My system will not even post

Try 5/4 ( 333) and see what happens

Dave

Last edited:
OP
Chum

Chum

Dcasole said:
Chum, I do not think it was hyper threading

some memory and chipsets do not like the divider you have chosen when running PC3200

My system will not even post

Try 5/4 ( 333) and see what happens

Dave

What do you mean by "divider"...nowhere in my BIOS do I see settings for 1:1 or 5:4 (is this what you mean by divider) I thought that leaving the memory at 400 MH(since this is what POST shows at stock) means the FSB bump will not affect the memory...maybe I have alot to learn.

Dcasole

Chum, when you raise the FSB you are not nly overclocking the CPU but you are also overclocking the memeory. Setting it at 400 really on sets the divider at which it runs, which at 1:1 would be 200MHZ

When you stated
Note: the normal POST screen reports ths ram running at 400 megahurtz...so I figured reducing it to 266 would allow for a stable OC.
I am assuming that you changed your memory speed , this is how you change the divider on some boards.

Try putting this at 333 (5/4) as I stated before some boards have a problem when you under clock the memmory

Dave

batboy

Senior Moment
First off, this should be in the Intel CPU section. Even set at "400" (DDR400 or 200 memory frequency) which is the 1:1 ratio, if you raise your FSB to 240 then your RAM is also running at 240 frequency (DDR480). With the Asus mobos, the 5:4 memory ratio (or sometimes called divider) is "320" I think. That's what I would recommend too.

HT enabled makes overclocking a tiny bit harder. I'd enable HT if possible, because you'll take a little bit of a performance hit with it disabled. The real cause of your instability is probably not the HT.

In this case, I think you are borderline unstable which probably means you need a little more voltage. Try increasing the vcore a little, maybe 1.55v at first and see what happens. Asus is notorious for drooping under load which causes undervolting. You might even need 1.575v. Raising voltages might increase temps a little too. Check voltages and temps for idle and load.