• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do round cables affect HD performance negatively?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxima88

I want to replace my ide flat ribbons w/ round cables just to clean up the inside of my case. I'm not really in it for better case airflow since temps are not a problem for me.

I just want to know from you peeps who have round cables if there is any negative effect on HD performance and overclocking with these round cables. I don't want to replace the ide ribbons then have data transfer slow down or my o/c become limited.

thanks in advance. :)

everx

Registered
there was an article about this, if i remember correctly the rounded cables performed a tiny amount slower due to problems with interference. Oh well i might be wrong, i didnt really read the article too thorougly

12am

Well I've read various reviews on rounded cables for the past year or so and I've come to this conclusion. Most rounded cables manufactured today are of good quality, in terms of performance most are either on par or slightly slower (so slow you won't even notice) than the flat ribbon cables, although some have proven to be better than the flat ribbon counterparts. As for overclocking I've seen no ill effects from using rounded cables in my overclocked system.

OP
maxima88

maxima88

Thanks guys. I guess if it doesn't work out I can always return the flat ide ribbons.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
From what I have read your best bet is the round ones that are made with twisted pair wiring and have a metal braid on the out side
*twisted pair protects each wire from the other 39 in the ata cable and the metal braid cancels out the noise from the PS wires and anything else in the case that sends off interferences

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
I tested this myself a while ago, and actually found my rounded cables to be much faster than my flat cable. I think that this is because the flat cable is a poor cable, rather than any problem with the round one. If there is any difference either way, it should be too small to notice.