• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do these temps seem about right? (1st time building comp)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slim Jim Kim

How you guys doin'? Anyway. This my first time with overclocking and building a computer, so you guys gotta help me.

900 MHz AMD T-Bird @ 1.1GHz -- 8.0x, 137/34.
Temps: CPU - 45*C/113*F
MB - 25*C/77*F
HSF: Millenium Glaciator II, around 5800 RPM
Case: Lian Li PC-70, if it matters any. Stock has two front intake fans and one outtake fan in the back. No mods.

Windows boots, no random crashes. I'm thinking the CPU is kinda high, where the MB is a little above normal. Am I right or wrong?

Thanks.

-- JK
(signature in progress)

Last edited:

AntmanMike

I don't know much about Athlons (im a P4 user), but those temps seem a bit high. If your temps are high, do NOT overclock, and read on this forum and get enough information to know more of what your doing. Overclocking an overheating CPU could permanently damage the CPU and other components. Make sure you have good air circulation thru the case, and a good HSF (heatsink fan)

SlowBurn

Are those temps at full load or just idle? They are a little high if those are idle temps. Did you use any Arctic Silver 3? If not, I would highly recommend it. You can find out more about it at Arctic Silver's Webpage. If you like what you have read, then I would suggest buying some from a place like Newegg. Very good customer service, and great sales rating.

OP
S

Slim Jim Kim

Heh. I'm holding the Artic Silver 3 syringe in my hand right now, actually. I put some on, but I think I did it wrong. (n00b mistake) I put it on the heatsink, wiped it off, put a layer on the core, and put the heatsink t-bird. But there was something that bothered me though. I had to twist the heatsink just a little bit to avoid a transistor near the CPU. It fits fine, but it's not perfectly straight. Could that be a major problem?

And those temps are idle. =\ Bad, I know.

Deathknight

The main thing is that it is making full contact with the cpu core. If its not straight it might not be making good contact (then again it could be fine).

T-birds run hot as it is but that may be a little too hot. Are you running at stock voltage?