• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do ya think Im crazy?.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trulyred

This past friday ,a local cable company calls me up To say internet cable has finally come to my neighborhood!! and I can get it a special promotional price of only 19.95 a month for the first 6 months. After which the price goes up to 45.95 a month. I turned them down cold.The way I see it ,If they can charge 19.95 as a promotional price, they can charge it ALL the time.,Heck I have been paying 19.95 to the same isp for 5 yrs. Why should the cable be any different?? Besides I don't want to get spoiled on a high speed access just to give it up 6 months down the road..............................:D

|the sys admin|

Registered
You could have taken the offer, then dropped it the day before the promotion ended, then just got a new account using the promotional offer available at that time :D.

Although, they may not let you do that...

JDXNC

Why oh why couldn't they offer me that???? If I could get ANY high speed access I would jump right aboard without even looking back. My friend has cable and I have tried it and I can say IF I can get it ever, i will never go back to dialsuck.

Kleenex

Registered
Wow. I think we pay $25 a month for cable internet (it's more expensive if you don't have basic cable tv though). But then if you wan't more than one computer hooked up, it's $12.50 extra per computer per month. $45 sounds a little expensive to me, unless the speeds are great and they don't cap your bandwidth after downloading 3 gigs of linux in one day (ops should have read the terms of service there).

n17ikh

You think THAT'S terrible??? aack... Broadband isn't available here yet but when it is... It will be ADSL 328/128 for... $60 A MONTH!! :mad: With a dynamic IP address!!! If I want a static IP address I have to pay $20 more a month! :mad: Man... It's better than dialsuck, but I dunno, for that price with those speeds... :(

OP
trulyred

trulyred

Oh yeah? do you ski, or just like to hike??

elec.tron said:

Yup....Go for the six months, I did, and when the six months were up Verizon lowered the price to $29.99...sweet.
BTW, I've spent much time in your neighborhood, Gods country, none better.
elec.tron

elec.tron

Oh yeah? do you ski, or just like to hike??

Hiking, climbing, fishing, partying in B'ham, you name it lots to do in your niehborhood.....well, ya gonna do the six months? Once you get used to broadband you'll beg on streetcorners to keep your connection, good news, not for six months hehheh.
elec.tron

OP
trulyred

trulyred

elec.tron said:

Hiking, climbing, fishing, partying in B'ham, you name it lots to do in your niehborhood.....well, ya gonna do the six months? Once you get used to broadband you'll beg on streetcorners to keep your connection, good news, not for six months hehheh.
elec.tron

Having a university in town wouldn't be the cause of all that partying, would it?:D No I haven't decided yet on that broadband. you may have gotten a good deal, I have the feeling they are just gonna nail me after six months, and like I say, I'm a cheap bastage when it comes to stuff like this.This the same cable company that took over from ATT. .Right after they took over my cable bill went up. I'm paying 40 bucks for stock, barely cable services, something I was paying 32 bucks not long ago....
They wanted me to go digital ,(for ten dollars more). I told them they are lucky they got cable in the house at all. They don't realize I am one of those folks who remember what free tv use to look like. Are you old enough to remember that? I'm sorry I just can't justify what will amount to 80-90 dollars a month just for cable services. :rolleyes:

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
Did you know it costs the cable company about $1500 per house to setup digital cable/internet? That is the costs for all the fiber infrastructure.

The $20/mo introductory rate is to get people to sign up, the months after that pay for the service.

If someone has the service for a while, they might lower the prices, becuase they've gotten some sort of return on their investment in infrastructure.

Getting the intro rate for 6 months is a good deal, most of those deals are only for 3 months.

Considering I d/l at near T-1 speeds and pay $40/month instead of $800/month for T-1, it's a pretty good deal! :) (Just wish upload was faster)

Krieger

I just found out verizon lowered the price for my DSL line. I called them up and asked why my bill(which I had in my hand) did not reflect the change. They said to call back on monday, and that I was entitled to the new price... that's nice, but I think I may bust thier chops a bit more and tell them I want the price retro active to when they introduced it. Who thinks they will do it?

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
You might be surprised...they just might make it a retroactive change.

Sometimes you get special deals just by taking the time and effort to call. Many times people call their credits cards, ask for a lower rate, and find out about an "unadvertised deal". They walk away with half the interest rate simply becuase they took the time to call and ask.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Kleenex said:
Wow. I think we pay $25 a month for cable internet (it's more expensive if you don't have basic cable tv though). But then if you wan't more than one computer hooked up, it's $12.50 extra per computer per month. $45 sounds a little expensive to me, unless the speeds are great and they don't cap your bandwidth after downloading 3 gigs of linux in one day (ops should have read the terms of service there).

What you are paying for is a second IP address. This is the only way cable companies offer hookups for more than one computer, but this is not the cheapest way and it is not the best way.

Buy yourself a broadband router. You can have both computers hooked to it getting cable internet and they would be networked so you can share files over the network and play games over the network.

The cable company just doesn't 'support' this because they can't charge you extra money for it and you will likely suck up more bandwidth.

clash

Cable is worth every penny paid for it. I have a 3.8 Down and 256 up connection, for $50.00 a month. It includes basic cable tv...

clash

Yeah, they just upgraded it for us for free a couple months ago. It was the same as yours. I know get like 350-370 KB/sec, me and kazaa are now at peace with each other...

ssgohan434

Silicon Valley---> moved to Washington State
trulyred said:
This past friday ,a local cable company calls me up To say internet cable has finally come to my neighborhood!! and I can get it a special promotional price of only 19.95 a month for the first 6 months. After which the price goes up to 45.95 a month. I turned them down cold.The way I see it ,If they can charge 19.95 as a promotional price, they can charge it ALL the time.,Heck I have been paying 19.95 to the same isp for 5 yrs. Why should the cable be any different?? Besides I don't want to get spoiled on a high speed access just to give it up 6 months down the road..............................:D

this must have been Comcast cable right?? yeah they changed the price from 41 something to about $5 more. anyways they will give it to u for the 41 something if u have their cable TV also. thats y i switched from DirecTV to cable tv so my internet bill stays the same.