• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do y'all think 1440p will ever become cheap enough to replace 1080p?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

I'm curious as to how 1440p will be received as a whole once it becomes just as easy to run as 1080p. It's not really a resolution you hear of outside of computer monitors, so do you guys think it'll ever be majorly adopted, or will 1080 stick around until 4k drops down to the $250~ range?

Alaric

That's a good question. Due to space and money considerations my 1080p display is a 43" TV. When it needs to be replaced I'll probably go 4k, as they're getting cheaper as I type. My rig is also my HTPC, so I probably won't be buying a dedicated monitor again. I'll be bypassing 1440p altogether.

OP
Vishera

Vishera

That's a good question. Due to space and money considerations my 1080p display is a 43" TV. When it needs to be replaced I'll probably go 4k, as they're getting cheaper as I type. My rig is also my HTPC, so I probably won't be buying a dedicated monitor again. I'll be bypassing 1440p altogether.
I've heard a few people compare it to 1366x768 and 900p: Just like they were a compromise on 1080p back in the day, 1440p is a compromise on 4k. When it gets cheap enough I might go to 1440p. But as it stands right now, with a 1070 being the preferred​ entry card, I think I'll stick to 1080p.

Alaric

I have no complaints with the RX 480 I had on 1080p. It ran everything on decent settings. The 1070 is "high end gaming" for my 1080p. LOL There are so many monitor resolutions right now I can't keep track. TVs are getting just as bad, too. If I had 1440p (or "2k") I would probably have gone with a GTX 1080, just for that last bit of "too much is just enough". I could have gotten a 1080 for what I spent on the HOF, but I wanted a HOF for this build, so I bit the bullet. I have zero complaints. It slays 1080p.

R_Pierce

I currently have two 1440p monitors, and IMHO its the sweet spot for size. 4K was too small in some of the games I play, so i ended up using a 1440p resolution anyways, as well as on the desktop. So for me, 4k was a waste, and 1440 is perfect. Now as far as price, its still a bit on the steep side IMHO. But only if you are talking gaming and high refresh monitors.

Alaric

Cost and space were my issues. I don't have any place for a dedicated gaming space or the money for two rigs. I needed a TV and a computer display, so I combined everything and got 43" of 1080p for under $300. If I get a 4k TV in the future I'll have to upgrade my GPU but everything else is still good.

Last edited:

wingman99

Cost and space were my issues. I don't have any place for a dedicated gaming space or the money for two rigs. I needed a TV and a computer display, so I combined everything and got 43" of 1080p for under $300. If I get a 4k TV in the future I'll have to upgrade my GPU but everything else is still good.

What TV channels can you get on the Hauppauge Quad TV tuner?

Alaric

Everything broadcast, and I can watch/DVR 4 channels at once. It will also handle cable if I ever bother. It's this one http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_quadhd.html The software isn't all that good, but it works with Windows Media Center and gives me super easy DVR scheduling. I only installed the Hauppauge software for the drivers, I never use it. I still have a product key for Media Center in Windows 8, so I can still "upgrade" my OS one time and keep it. Windows 10 is a dead end for it. I think we have 54 broadcast channels here but I don't speak Spanish, so a bunch of them are useless to me. LOL

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
at some point it might, but it takes quite a card to push it really.
out here in hooterville and pixley, it's all 1920x1080 with a 960 or even a 480 seen once in a great while and we are in a lake community.
the bigger thing around here is people impressing them selves with high end tvs so that will be the driver here.
we'll have to wait a bit and see what the wealthier, young-uns are going to do.