• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you have $xxx to spend on a video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ignore this dude, i posted the wrong thing in, the realised i am a muppet...
nice thread tho, thanks for the links, useful!

a few months ago i purchased an asus nvidia 6800xt 128 agp card from newegg and wow, this thing overclocks insane, i have been running it at 421/860 (300/700 stock) at stock voltages. I i tried unlocking the pixil pipelines but no dice... major artifacts, however i was successful at unlocking the vertex shaders to 6 and i am quite impressed with the performance.

I am aware that ATI has a couple cards that are slightly faster at a similar price point but i really don't like ATI for 2 reasons, first, because i think their drivers stink, i've had a few ati cards and while the card performed well, it locked up all the time and that was with a few different motherboards (running xp).
Secondly, while i do have windows xp pro sp2 installed on a small 20 gb partition, i don't remember the last time i actually used it other then for benchmarking (been a couple years). anyway, ati's linux an bsd drivers suck, if you are outside the windows realm, nvidia kicks all sorts of ati butt.

Within the Windows world, my personal experience has been that ATI is slightly faster 65% of the time but 80% of them time nvidia has more solid drivers.

if you are like me and run linux or bsd 99.95% of the time, nvidia is the only way to go, the drivers simply ahinilate the competition. An x800xt could get it's arce handed to it on a silver platter by a nvidia 5600 in linux..... the drivers are that far supperior.

I am looking for a new card, but sadly... this sticky is way out of date. Great idea, and would have been really helpful.

An update would be really nice.

B

Do I have alot of money to spend on upgrades? No. But its ok, Im fine with mid range stuff (the 8800GT is actually my first higher end graphics card, only other card that came close to high end was an x700pro 3 or 4 years ago.)

You dont need lotsa money to get a good Video card, just try ebay or shopbot.com.au, shopbot shows you all the prices for the item you want from lots of different stores, you can pick the cheapest one anfd buy it.

The video card is one of the areas in my computer that I would definitely put extra cash in, after all that is one of the main things that affects the performance of games and videos.

Back