• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you need help on How To Overclock?? Some answers in here. [Retired sticky]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hate to tell you this but TOAST is much better thab CPUburn.
with cpuburn i get about 38C, with TOAST i get 44-45C. both after running for 5 hours.
another thing, seti and folding ARE good for testing temps. let them run for a year or so, then you'll see if your processor can last
:cool:

ASUS probe problem

I am new to this overclocking endeavor, so excuse my ignance, please.
I have an ASUS P4S533 with a Pentium4 2.0 and an ASUS 7700Ti video card. I undersand the principles of messing with the FSB and voltages with an eye on the temp. I have a Volcano 7.

My problem is that while the BIOS is reporting the CPU temperature, the ASUS Probe program is not. The program has it at 40 C all the time. If I place it under load (Sandra Burn-In) for a while, I can reboot and look at the BIOS temp and see that it's gone up, but the time between ending the burn-in and the look at the BIOS is at least a minute or more, by which time much cooling has occurred.

I need to be able to monitor the CPU temp in "real time" and ASUS Probe fails (it monitors the board temp OK). Any fixes or alternate software for temperature monitoring? Thanks for any help.

Goatzool, Southern Cal

hey, don't have much time, but i know what's wrong. The version of Asus Probe that Asus sent you is garbage!!! It will NOT report temps under 40*C. You have to download a new version. they don't even have it on their website!! I found it using Direct Connect. If you want me to send it to ya sometime, message me on AIM. SN is Jonnycap100. After installing, the temps were actually around 30*C!

Probe update

Yes, that solved that problem. Now I have a similar problem with ASUS Smart Doctor, the program that monitors the video chipset. I guess Windows XP has to be around for a few years before major manufacturers start to design stuff for it.

Thanks for your help.

I think I posted this in the wrong place. Duh.

Goatzool

*Newbie* Overclocking Probs

Hey Guys.

I am somewhat new to O/C...I am trying to get my 700mHz Duron up to around 931. Unfortunately, my board is a FIC AZ11, and only has the ability to adjust the Cpu Clock/PCI Clock/Spectrum Spread. I have it set at 108/36/Off right now. I want to get it to 133/33/+-.05%, and I have no idea what the .05% means. The spectrum spread options for the FSB setting at 133 are either that or like .1% no off setting there.

Plus, it only goes up to 112/37/Off, before I have to jump to 133 mHz. :eh?:

I am using SiSoft Sandra, and the performance tips tell me that my network card has too high of a latency, and that it may hog all of the CPU's time. I have no idea how to change this, and I am not connected to a network at the moment (not until I get back to school) to see if it works ok. My BIOS last update was like 6 of 2000 (the date of the software design), so I wonder if there is either a new or cracked version that may allow me to edit a few other things.

Anyone know some tips that may help me out?

Thanks,

~_|w|re

Nice thread Cluster! A lot of work went into this thread and I commend you. I am sure it will help a lot of new OCers to make that first Overclock. Its threads like this one that got me going. I still have tons to learn and this forum is chock full of good info thanks to all the good ppl here that take the time post. Now i'm off to clear my cmos on the 8k3a and see what I can do about hitting 200.

Load Temps - Temperature when the processor is under 100% load. This is best achieved while running Folding@Home

I prefer Sisoft Sandras Burn In Wizard. Set it to do only the multimedia benchmark continuously with normal/high prioritys. I had my friends Athlon up to 72 Deg. before he freaked out and pulled the plug, LOL. He even has a volcano 6Cu+ with a 7k fan...I finally talked him into lapping. Now it doesnt go over 60 with that test. That still high as hell, but for him, he doesnt overclock...so as long as his chip has a long life.

Great article!
i am trying to up my FSB and lower my Multi but cpu speed keeps rising.I thought it will stay low if I keep lowering the multiplier.
What am I doing wrong?

What in the world is a memCore? Im here to learn not here to contribute. Is upping the multiplier better than upping the FSB? Can fsb's be 533? I don't quite get it.
Ok my athlon XP CPU is 2000+(1667Mhz) My mobo is 333 fsb
fsb X multiplier = frequency (rite?)
333 X 12.5(standard) = 4162.5 mhz not possible
Anyone help

Rickster said:
What in the world is a memCore? Im here to learn not here to contribute. Is upping the multiplier better than upping the FSB? Can fsb's be 533? I don't quite get it.
Ok my athlon XP CPU is 2000+(1667Mhz) My mobo is 333 fsb
fsb X multiplier = frequency (rite?)
333 X 12.5(standard) = 4162.5 mhz not possible
Anyone help

memCore is the voltage applied to the memory modules. The stock is 2.5v and gives stability at the stock speed. But as you up your FSB you can lose stability. Adding more voltage solves this problem, but also generates more heat. Hence where the cooling comes in.

When your calculating the FSB don't use the DDR rating. For AMD boards the FSB might be 333MHz but the quartz that dictates your system speed is running 166MHz, apply your multiplier to that. For DDR boards divide the FSB by 2 then tack on your multiplier

Also, your board is only rated upto 333MHz fsb, but it's not actually using it that high. It's at 266MHz becuase that's all the Athlons go up to. Except of course the newest of the TBreds, which actually use 333MHz.

133 * 12.5 = 1662.5MHz

Changing the FSB or the Multiplier has different effects. Both will effect the CPU speed using the formula :
FSB * Multiplier = CPU Speed
The difference is the multiplier only affects the CPU. Changing the FSB effects all your system components. PCI cards, Video, Memory, Hard Drives and the motherboard itself move faster with a higher FSB. You need to tinker with these two settings. Sometimes a NIC card or Sound card can limit the FSB from going any higher. This can usually be solved by changing the divider used to get the speed the PCI slots run at. They run stock at 33Mhz. For a 133Mhz board, the divider is 1/4. It depends on your board wether this is manually adjustable, and what limits it has.

Some of this may be confusing at first, I know it was for me my first time around. Remember, read, understand, then read again. The majority of the time, if you don't do anything extreme, you won't break anything. It's when you try to go for the limits that things break. It's like any other machine, if you push it harder than it's meant to go, something has to give, and eventually break. Silicone is no different. Just make sure you understand the consequences before jumping in and you'll be very pleased with the results of an "upgraded" system. Overclocking can bring life to older systems that were destined for wasteland, and take new systems to soaring benchmarks.

Sert Turk said:
Great article!
i am trying to up my FSB and lower my Multi but cpu speed keeps rising.I thought it will stay low if I keep lowering the multiplier.
What am I doing wrong?

Double check your multiplier to see if it's actually moving. Do the math on what your cpu speed is divided by your FSB to see what your multi truly is. You may need to do some modifications to the cpu to get the multiplier to change. And i believe Intel Cpus are unlockable. ALthough i could be wrong since i don't have an intel CPU, just what i heard, anyone clarify that?

heres the formula to convert temps

F to C = temp F - 32/1.8 (100 F - 32 =68/1.8 = 37.7 C)

C to F = temp C *1.8+32 ( 50 C *1.8 = 90 + 32= 122 F)

Hope this helps someone
Steve

Help with overclock my P4 system...

Could anyone help me with a few questions about overclocking my system?

I am a newbie to overclocking, so please bear with me. I really want to know how far I can go with my system, without compromising stability or reliability. Here are my specs:

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.0 GHz
Intel i845E chipset
ASUS P4B533 motherboard
512 MB of PC2100 DDR RAM:

Help with overclocking my P4 system...

(Sorry about the previous post, I pressed Tab+space which caused my post to get submitted.. Very sorry once again!)

Could anyone help me with a few questions about overclocking my system?

I am a newbie to overclocking, so please bear with me. I really want to know how far I can go with my system, without compromising stability or reliability. Here are my specs:

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.0 GHz
Intel i845E chipset
ASUS P4B533 motherboard
512 MB of PC2100 non-ECC cas 2.5 DDR RAM:
- 1 stick of 256 MB Infineon RAM
- 1 stick of 256 MB Samsung RAM
Maxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM 8.9 ms
Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM drive
NEC NR-7700A CD-R/RW
D-Link DFE-530TX 10/100 network card
ATI Radeon 7000 64 MB AGP card (may not be the best, but suits my needs. :)

Right now, I am using the Intel fan+heatsink, but I do plan on getting a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ fan+heatsink.
I have a case fan in my system, and I don't mind getting a few more. I am not willing to get liquid cooling, as I really can't afford it.
I am also planning on using Arctic Silver, any suggestions for other thermal compounds?

All I want to know is with my current setup, assuming that I have the Thermaltake fan, how far can I safely go with my system?
I am willing to tinker a fair bit with my system, but I cannot afford to have burnt, dead components.
If you feel that the Thermaltake fan isn't good, please feel free to recommend others, keeping in mind that I have a limited budget.

Thanks!

Back