• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you tell your friends....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bleed

to not touch your monitor/lcd screen? I mean, I've got this friend who's always here just to hang out and use my pc. ive got no problem with that, sometimes when he finds something interesting, he calls me then shows me what he found, and he'll put his finger on my freakin lcd :mad: . i dnt even touch the the screen myself, but I just can't find it in me to tell him to not touch the screen :(. I was thinking of just printing a note saying "Do not touch the screen please", and stick it infront of my desk :D

so do you guys ever tell your friends not to?

I tell people ALL the time. I hate cleaning off finger grease. If I have to point something out to someone on a monitor I use a pen or pencil (not the writing end). Here at my office there are people who's monitors have a shine becuase of all the finger prints. I don't know how they use them.

BTW
Bleed = Autobot do gooder. :p

Oh yeah, I tell people. Smudge marks really **** me off. It's really bad when people do it once, see the mark they made, and then do it again. Some people are just so dense I can't stand it.

I am quick to let out a yell as soon as ANYONES finger/nose/ear/breath is even near my screen. I'm the same with my TV and portable DVD player.

Funny, I was at the dentist the other day, a new high tech place with dry x-ray processing and flat panels mounted on all the chairs. The office chick was showing me something, poking at it with the business end of the pen, she even left ink on the screen! I'd have taken her hand off if that was my screen :)

Arrrgh I hate when people touch my monitor with their fingers. Can't they see the little greasy smudges they leave. It drives me insane. :mad:

Use a fricking pencil or if you must touch it then at least flip your finger around and use the nail. The worst is when you go and work on somebody elses box and the monitor shines back at you. The reflections, the grease, the HORROR!!!

Enough of that, I would slap the dudes hand everytime he raises his fingers toward the monitor. Either that or leave a cloth and some cleaning fluid so he can undo the business he left on your monitor.

You could also make them wear gloves, but you don't want to seem too weird. :D

I would use the end of a pen and point at whatever. This way, your friend will realize what is right to do.

Yeah, finger smears bug me too. I point out stuff with my fingernail only or with an object, or by hovering right above the screen. I usually don't like to be a jerk to people and tell them not to touch my screen though...it's not a problem to clean it off later.

I'm usually a pretty laid back person and let a lot of stuff go but I can't stand when someone touches my screen and gets thier finger prints on it... I actually have a habit of cleaning the screen of any computer I work on... I just can't stand a dirty screen... its like a needle in my spine.. its just erks me! Don't even like seeing people touch thier screen!

I'm constantly telling people.. DON'T TOUCH! And have gotten so I usually tell them while thier finger is on the way to the screen.

{PMS}fishy said:
I usually punch my friends when the do that. Eventually they will learn.
Yeah thats what I do, who says violence doesn't solve things. Kick him between the uprights and he'll learn the first time (j/k thats mean)

Ravsitar said:

BTW
Bleed = Autobot do gooder. :p
hehe.... used to love the old transformers, not the new one thats out right now, they look like crap.

ahhhhhhh.... my friend did it again last night. he wanted to show me something and he must have misjudged the distance of the my lcd and he pushed the screen with his finger so hard that it actually moved :mad:.

(ThreadJack)
I know what you mean Bleed. Most of the new ones look silly. You know that they have been rereleasing the G1 line exclusively at toysRus? The only changes that have been made are for new safety laws (longer missles and other little bits). They are great. Too bad they 're $30 each.
(/ThreadJack)

Bleed, you gotta stop him. Poke the LCD too hard and he could damage it. I've heard horror stories about kids, objects and other whatnot that shouldn't be in the same room as an LCD colliding with the display surface and killing the pixels beneath which results in discolored or even lack of display in the area.

~THT

Back