• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does a custom watercooling loop worth it for benching?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don' tthink resting the mobo on the outside of the bag is a good idea. If you can find an old junk case you can pull the motherboard tray and use that. I built this with some $5 shelving from a second hand store and an old case I had laying around. The hole in the top tray was to mount a fan underneath for the back side CPU socket.

bench 3.JPG table mod2.jpg bench 6.JPG

I don' tthink resting the mobo on the outside of the bag is a good idea. If you can find an old junk case you can pull the motherboard tray and use that. I built this with some $5 shelving from a second hand store and an old case I had laying around. The hole in the top tray was to mount a fan underneath for the back side CPU socket.

View attachment 206215View attachment 206216View attachment 206217

Okey, I'll do this then. I have an old Centurion 590 case, I can use that for this, altough I have to get some standoffs for the motherboard.

Test bench is a luxury, egg crate worked great and was free. One of our members sold me the test bench for a good price, when I saw him at one of our benching get together's.

Test bench is a luxury, egg crate worked great and was free. One of our members sold me the test bench for a good price, when I saw him at one of our benching get together's.

I think I finished. :D
It's a little ghetto but whatever. I didn't really want to fix the radiator to the case, but it's more compact this way. When I want to do ice + windwasher in a bucket, I just pull out the 2 tubes from the radiator and put them in the tube, of course after I drained the loop. (at least I hope it will work well)
62451554_340697433243413_4956502794862329856_n.jpg 64493248_348368579208178_3153637104966172672_n.jpg 62231194_461879037926772_5448085961080569856_n.jpg

Ghetto? If it achieves your goals who cares!!! :thup:

Yeah that's true. :D
Also I'll probably take the system apart and put the pump, reservoir, radiator on a small platform, so if I need water for another platform I just change the block, apply thermal paste and ready to go, even chilled. :)

I just leave my pump in the bucket, the radiator the lines are long enough that I can take it put it out the window in the winter and just pull it back in a tuck it away when needed. I put a 3/4 male and female garden hose end in the line so I can just plug my Gpu block in when I want to cold run that as well.

I just leave my pump in the bucket, the radiator the lines are long enough that I can take it put it out the window in the winter and just pull it back in a tuck it away when needed. I put a 3/4 male and female garden hose end in the line so I can just plug my Gpu block in when I want to cold run that as well.

I honestly think I should've gotten a pond pump too. I have a D5 vario. I put a little bucket next to it but it didn't even pull the liquid from it, so I put in my reservoir but I didn't put in the bucket 'cause I can't put it anywhere where the pump can pull the liquid from it. So now the problem is I don't have a very small bag or something like that so I can put ice in it and put it in the reservoir. (I don't want to put ice in it directly 'cause then the liquid would dilute)

I think you need more liquid. I feel there isn't enough there to chill while circulating as well.
This is where my journey started and here's the pump https://www.overclockers.com/forums...Putzen-Round?p=7471506&viewfull=1#post7471506
I still use that pump but now I have upgraded to a chest freezer with a big radiator. I can get --20 to -25 temps on the WW fluid for about 2-3 hours. Now I use it for fun benching and testing before going full bore into LN2.
We have a small but friendly benching team if you're looking for a home.

I think you need more liquid. I feel there isn't enough there to chill while circulating as well.
This is where my journey started and here's the pump https://www.overclockers.com/forums...Putzen-Round?p=7471506&viewfull=1#post7471506
I still use that pump but now I have upgraded to a chest freezer with a big radiator. I can get --20 to -25 temps on the WW fluid for about 2-3 hours. Now I use it for fun benching and testing before going full bore into LN2.
We have a small but friendly benching team if you're looking for a home.

Yeah I'll probably get a pond pump instead of this D5. It would be a lot more effective and easier too, 'cause it was a pain to get it working this way, but I'm not sure 'cause I'll probably do testing/binning on ambient and then do DICE (or LN2 later) if I get a pot. (hopefully it's soon :D )

From experience - It's easier to take 1 or 2 120x360 rads and submerge them in a cooler full of ICE water. If you have properly prepared your MB for the condensation, then you should be fine. You will get better temps with a Custom Water setup over a AIO but the AIO is quicker/faster to setup and remove for Dice benching.

You will get better temps with a Custom Water setup over a AIO but the AIO is quicker/faster to setup and remove for Dice benching.
I have to ask your theory on this?

You will get better temps with a Custom Water setup over a AIO but the AIO is quicker/faster to setup and remove for Dice benching.
I have to ask your theory on this?
Thank You for catching my mistake :) You will still get better temps with a custom water loop BUT both are easy to remove for Dice Bench. I was thinking on mine where I had the Rad mounted onto the bench table.

Back