• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does a hard drive affect pc performance??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TxAMD

My rig:

Abit Nf7-s
Athlon xp 2500+
Fortron 350w
512mb Crucial

I have an old 20 gig cheap brand hard drive.... Is this small hard drive bringing down my overall performance? It stores all I need it to, and I still have 10 gig's Im not using.

OP
TxAMD

TxAMD

Would it work just as well if I kept the old one and got a new one? Is there any way to somehow transfer data from one hard drive to another? Excuse my ignorance. :)

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
if your current drive is a 7200 ATA 100 then there isnt much gain from going to a newer drive, although an 8mb cache drive would be noticably faster. Harddrive size, however, has no effect on performance. If you get a new drive and want to keep your old one for extra storage you can, all you need to do is set the new one as master, the old as slave, install windows on the new one, and then copy any files you want off the old one to the new one. Very simple really.