• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does anybody use verizon dsl w/linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt_w_lambert

I have red hat linux and want to get dsl but i don't know if the free modem will work does any body have any experiance w/ this and what program would i use also on there web sit it says i need a nic and i don't know much about networking so could sombody recomend a nic that will work well w/ dsl modem

thanks

Any network card with a twisted pair connector will work with such a dsl modem
I recommend a realtek 8139 chip: it´s the cheapest one out there, never gives any trouble and is supported under every OS on the planet.

I use LinkSys Network cards (get em right at Best Buy)... and a Linksys Router to get 2 PCs running on my cable modem... It is supposed to be a better setup than using USB (from what I hear).

All the versions of Linux I have used detect and configure the network cards flawlessly... ASP Linux, Mandrake, ArkLinux... I don't use Red Hat but the others I mentioned are all based in Red Hat soooo.....

The main issue is ISP connection software: if you need ISP provided software to access the internet then they need to support your OS.

Otherwise, all you need is a working network card :)

I am a fan of Realtek 8139 cards too: nothing cheaper and they usually take high FSB ok when overclocking- always an issue with me :D

My favorite cards overall are 3Com and Intel though: they oc well, have support in any os I have tried and the are completely hardware cards- but they cost mucho. I have one 3Com 905, a few older 3Com 5xx series cards and one Intel Pro 10/100.
I have a small herd of RT8139s.

I have gotten every network card I have tried to work under Linux and all of them except for one have autoconfigured during Redhat or Mandrake install. The only one I had to load a driver for was the nForce onboard network.

This included a couple of different 3Com cards, the aforementioned nForce model, an onboard 3Com chip in my Dell workstation at work, and an older Realtek 8000 family 10 Mbps model.

rogerdugans said:
The main issue is ISP connection software: if you need ISP provided software to access the internet then they need to support your OS.

Thats not totally true. I have Verizon DSL, and I just have my router use the login info to activate the internet connection and then it gives my Linux and Windows box both access.

Niloc said:

Thats not totally true. I have Verizon DSL, and I just have my router use the login info to activate the internet connection and then it gives my Linux and Windows box both access.

Reread his post. He is saying that if it requires software that you will have to get it from the provider.

Back