• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone have a passive reservoir?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xris

I've only been able to find one review on them and XSPC is the only company I've seen so far that makes them. I like the idea of eeking every bit of performance out of my loop and the review I read did show a drop of 1* C from using a 250mm reservoir. I imagine the 500mm version would do a little better. The idea being that because it's taller it has more room for the warm air to rise to the top before it sinks back down to go through the loop again.

The real advantage the review said that the thing offers is that it will allow you to lower the cooling performance hit of lowering your radiator fan speeds, allowing you to quiet down your system a bit.

Anyone got any experience?

I've got one but have no way of verifying those claims.
It works just fine as a reservoir though and it fit the visual style of the build, so that's why I got it.

You would need a pretty sophisticated monitoring system (certainly not software based) to tell if the rez was aiding and abetting the rad or not.

Just like the original Reserator, I always felt that the fins needed to be on the inside as well as the outside to be really effective- increasing the water-to-surface area as well as the surface-to-air area.
That might make a difference.

I can see how placement might hurt though...if it's hanging off the backplane with vid card and PSU exhaust flowing over it, I imagine that the XSPC rez would heat up readily and degrade the temps.

i got the XSPC one and i like it. i dont think it is worth the cost over a swiftech micro though. i guess if you placed it over/near a fan to help dissipate the heat it would do better, but i dont know.

The XSPC passive reservoirs I am looking at are running about $60. Considering that a Swiftech microres runs $20, and an MCR220 can be had for $43, it is hard in my mind to justify the cost. Adding more cooling surface via rad is going to do a whole lot more than a passive reservoir is.

I think this is why you just don't see many of these used.

I imagine the 500mm version would do a little better. The idea being that because it's taller it has more room for the warm air to rise to the top before it sinks back down to go through the loop again.
I assume you mean the water rises, not the air. Your supposition is bogus. There's so much turbulence in a rez that convection is not a factor.

Back