• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does anyone know how to edit the nag screen on startup out of Windows ME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jerky

that's the question... see, loaded windows ME onto an older HD that i have and it said if i enter my name and click cancel it won't ask me for it again... well it didn't work, and everytime i boot up my pc there it is again, grrrrrr.... what a headache!
how do i edit this out of the registry, does anyone know?
and also, how do i change the name of my pc to something else than what i originaly named it when loading winME?
replies would be very much appreciated.
thanks
:) :confused:

flyingember

Registered
uninstall microsoft networking (or was it file/printer sharing?) from the networking section of the control panel

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
You'll first need to delete (or rename) all your *.pwl files by clicking Start | Find "Files or Folders" and search your root directory for them. Next you'll need to go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | "Network" icon | "Configuration" tab | Make sure that "Client for Microsoft Networks" is in the list. If it isn't there, then you'll need to install it by clicking the "Add" button | Highlight "Client" in the list shown | Click the "Add" button | Under "Manufacturers", highlight "Microsoft" | Under "Network Clients", highlight "Client for Microsoft Networks" | Click OK

Make sure that "Windows Logon" is selected in the "Primary Network Logon" box | Reboot your computer | When you see the "Enter Windows password" screen during the reboot, be sure and click "OK" with no password entered | You'll be prompted to confirm, click "OK" again with no password entered.

AFA changing the name of the Registered User, Registered Organization, etc., you'll need to edit the Registry...Start | Run | Type Regedit and click OK. Navigate to the following Key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion

Look for the value name you'd like to edit (in the RH pane) | Right click the DWORD value and select "Modify" | In the "Modify DWORD Value" window that opens, enter the new name in the "Value name" field. ;)

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
delete all *.pwl files in your C:\WINDOWS directory.

then go into network neighborhood configuration, and add the client "client for family networks" (or something like that). In the pull-down box, select that as the primary network logon.

goto control panel/passwords -- delete any users that aren't you.

reboot and it should not ask you for a username/password anymore.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Esturk17 said:
After I type my user name in I always leave the password blank and then click "Ok" not cancel. This way it won't prompt me again at next bootup.

It also depends on whether you have a network card installed in your computer, and if you are sharing files over the network. (then you'll get the "network logon", which is the nasty one that doesn't go away.. the "windows logon" will go away the first time you click cancel.)

OP
Jerky

Jerky

thanks for all the replies. that's some nice info you guys gave me. i'm going to have to print it out in case i ever have to do it again.
:burn: