• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone know what happened to these people?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Larry Quinn

I'm curious as to why we have a "Hole" in our member listing in spots 9,10,and 11

(9) rajausa inactive
(10) Psykoikonov inactive
(11) ric inactive

Does anyone here keep in touch with these people, and /Or know why they have dropped off the map??

They were good crunchers...and we sure could use their production as a team.

I've been wondering about them..as well as some others that have stopped.
We have a LOT of inactive members!!!

Is there some way we could work on talking them back in???

We really need to get moving on recruitment...we aren't growing at nearly the pace we need to keep our position, let alone advance!

If we knew the reasons for people leaving, maybe we can take steps to change the situation.

How about a preemptive strike on those people still crunching Classic...Just an invitation could net us some "Classic Power"!!!

I don't know...maybe I'm opening a huge can of worms...

Larry

Dk Jedi Allianc

I know exactly what you mean. This team has always been a huge team speaking of members (2000+) but with always "only" 2-400 active members. Back in the classic days it was also a concern.

Just think about it. If half the inactive members completed just 1 WU per day - our daily RAC would climb something like 5000 CS :eek:

This is excactly why Germany can stay in front. They have 2000+ ACTIVE members

skab

Actually we've lost 43 members in the top two hundred over the last two months!!!
Originaly I thought this was due to the argument about the team International/USA debate but after looking at BOINC stats and the Berkeley eab site it appears that most of these have just quit, althogh we have lost a lot of crunching power to the other BOINC projects.
I guess we could try to e-mail them, they can't quit again can they? PM's don't look like they'ld work as a lot of them don't post that much.

OP
L

Larry Quinn

One of the things that may have contributed to the situation, was the stability of the Seti servers in the beginning.

Things are MUCH improved now (Of course I say that while no one can upload... :bang head )

People did go work on other projects during that time, and most likely got themselves Hooked on the competition those other projects offer.

I can understand that..and because of that some are gone for good.

I wish them all well with their new projects!

How many Active users are still on Classic?

As least these people have SETI on the brain like many of us here...it would be much easier to lure them to SETI BOINC as Classic is finally shut down.

Face it, whe Classic ends ..there is going to be some competition from the other projects for those members...we ought to get in now.

Again, just my 2 cents rounded to the nearest Nickle.

Larry

skab

I guess I thought seti classic was already over. There is only about another 12000 wu's a day going in the other BOINC projects and alot of that production is only comming from about 2 dozen people.
I have to agree about the losses due to the poor running start-up for boinc seti as alot of these people just are'nt doing any DC programs that I could find. I even checked the folding member list and only saw two there. I also checked at radom thru the BOINC stats column and thru are own forums member list to see if we'd lost a lot to other teams but did'nt find any signs of this either.
Last couple of posts from rajausa had to do with getting married and then he lived in Dickinson, Tx which got part of Katrina I believe.

skab

Was just thinking about something, is it possible for a team to join another team and still keep it's own team ID with in do you suppose?

skab

This team wants to beat Germany, but as the top USA team. They're avg is about 40,000 wu's daily. They tried to recruit from us in the poll for about switching countries but I was thinking if a whole team could switch over......

Careface

but would we still be overclockers.com team? if we were, im all for it. as long as i can keep the team name the same.. i gotta admit, ive kinda become attactched to you guys now ;)

Careface*

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
guys... from an outsider's perspective... i think a lot of it was BOINC problems. If any of you remember... me and a coupel of the [email protected] guys tried out BOINC for a while but were turned off by difficulties with it.

I don't doubt things are a lot smoother now... but even just 5-6 months ago... things were less than smooth with BOINC and that may very well have contributed to a decline in the team.

Oh yeah, when was the last time you all had a BOINC (that's what it is now, right? NOt just SETI anymore?) plug on the front page? the few times that the [email protected] team got a plug up (even a 2 paragraph plug and we are due to put up another one soon)... we get a decent influx of members and out of those... (say we get 100 new members)... we keep about 20-30 of them.

SunRedRX7

We should see a bump in BOINC participation on the 15th. There are a lot of people that just let the little green satelite crunch in the corner and don't check in to the boards very often. Figure the idle PC will alert some people to the BOINC.

http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/
November 15, 2005
On December 15, 2005, after 6 years of operation, this project will shut down. But [email protected] is not going away. We're alive and well and running on the BOINC distributed computing platform. It's easy to switch over - just follow the instructions on the new [email protected] web site. We hope to see everyone there!

skab

Unfortunately part of our problem is that a lot of people have this perception: "BOINC (that's what it is now, right? NOt just SETI anymore?)" :-/ .
At the moment 48.7% of the people running BOINC are not running SETI anymore :cry: although out team is actualy doing better at only losing approx 11.4% of our production to other programs :( .
:mad: Irks me as I we have 37,837,480 credits for BOINC but only 32,580,971 credits for SETI which is actualy a 14% difference. If all the credits had gone to SETI as originaly did we would be in fifth instead of eight getting ready to drop to ninth :cry:
:) But then my signature say's it all for me :)

Edit: This pie chart just represents the user of the day's distribution for there computers.

Attachments

• 66.png
    66.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Sleepy_Steve

Come now, you act as though youre not getting new members...

You have i know for a fact, two new members in the top 100 for the team. One ranks 50th, the other is 73rd i think. (for RAC)

Anyway dont get all concerned about having competition from other projects, promote this one and you will likley earn a good number of members back to seti... also boinc should bring more people in general to know of seti and become potential / future members.

Oh btw, im the 50th place one (Crimmy) and my friend is 73rd (n1nj4)

Hamm3r

TollhouseFrank said:
Oh yeah, when was the last time you all had a BOINC (that's what it is now, right? NOt just SETI anymore?) plug on the front page? the few times that the [email protected] team got a plug up (even a 2 paragraph plug and we are due to put up another one soon)... we get a decent influx of members and out of those... (say we get 100 new members)... we keep about 20-30 of them.
Now thats just what we need. 20-30 new members could keep this team from falling on the charts.

skab

:) I don't in any way want to play down the efforts of any members new or old that are crunching SETI, this is what we need :clap: .
The point I'm trying to make is "BOINC" is not "SETI"! Contributing to the Overclockers BOINC team does not contribute to the SETI team. And the other projects have nothing to do with SETI. :eek:
Contributing to any OVerclockers team is good :clap: , but IMO contributing to the SETI team is best :clap:

SunRedRX7

skab said:
If all the credits had gone to SETI as originaly did we would be in fifth instead of eight getting ready to drop to ninth :cry:

But if you check out some of our members you'll find we have members that only crunch the other projects. So don't assume that all those credits would go to SETI's total, they could instead just not exist in any form.

skab

SunRedRX7: yep exactly! They are not contibuting to the SETI team! That's all I'm saying, they are contributing to the Overclockers BOINC team and that's great! For BOINC, but not so great for SETI.