• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone use or play with bong coolers anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thorilan

not for my own systems but every once in a while i get a request for either a system or advice.

i did one a few years ago that was about 8 feet tall using 16" PVC . talk about a monster.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Wanna build one and write a new article about it? :D

I always liked bong coolers, even tho they aren't the most practical solutions.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Always thought it was an interesting idea and wouldn't mind seeing one. With the new XT I just got though, there is no way I would do it. Those teeny tiny little pins would just love to get their hands on any particulates that got into the open-air loop. It would definitely be nice to see an article on one!

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Done. Who wants to buy Thorilan's Bong cooler featured on overclockers.com? I'll sign it for free. :D

Down the road, I'd love to be able to sponsor this sort of stuff... Which could be possible if we can get our advertising in order.

doz

I might actually make one and do a write-up if noone gets to it quicker than me.

Figure Ill need a cheap pump (maybe get a d4, who cares about noise). Ill get the setup and do it int he garage this winter?? I could test it against my current setup, which isnt bad so it should be a tough comparison.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
If you do it, I'd be interested in helping you plan, as well as giving you some suggestions to possibly test.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
That would be exciting to see! PM me when you're ready to start writing if this is something you want to do. I'll get you started with the front page.

Great idea I.M.O.G.!

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
I've got a 750 GPH pond pump that'd be perfect for a nice big bong cooler. Not really my style though, I like running antifreeze so I know my metal is in good hands but maybe someday I'll build a bong cooler for something other than my main rig.

Spawn-Inc

man, i wish i wasn't so busy with work, i would be interested in building one, toss it outside in the winter air :)

Conumdrum

The problem with bongs is the maintenace and the chemicals that are emitted into the air. You constanly have to add water and replace all of the water every month or so. And add more chemicals. It's also very inefficient if you live in a humid climate.

It's very neat and the cheapest way to go sub ambient at least on the water temps. I'd like to do it, but more work than I'd like to deal with.

BobbyBubblehead

I think you mean a hot dry climate maybe :)

I was chewing it over and decided no for that reason and my spare pond pumps are 3500LPH and 1800LPH...need 50litres to stop it running dry for a start. which puts me back to plan A. big deep hole and a roll of copper pipe done with care (earthquakes :rolleyes:)

looks a fun project for people in the right enviroment, hope a few people do have a go.

OP
I.M.O.G.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
No humid is bad for a bong, you need evaporation for a bong to work well, the more the better. Evaporation doesn't happen well in a humid environment.

doz

Exactly. If dry hot climates sucked for evaporation, you wouldnt see cooling towers at every Las Vegas property :D

I might be able to get alot of the parts for free. I do construction, so give me a short amount of time to get some PVC together. I am working on an Aquatic Center right now, but most of the piping is done. I will search for leftovers :D

I have a shower head sitting in my garage, I believe it has a fine setting as well. Id just need to get some fittings and tubing (probably just cheapo stuff for the project, wont be a permanant thing). I might get a pond pump as well, rather than rip apart my whole water system in my computer.

If you guys want to shoot me ideas of what you want, PM me so I can aquire the parts needed. Im open to anything, as I really have no plans for the build. Tell me what youw ant to see.

BobbyBubblehead

just had a little read its clear how it works now. sounds fun but a lot of maintaining.
looking at that diagram could you use two loops, one sealed for the pc and the other for the bong.

if you used a partition so the water had to pass through a standard rad, in order to equalise?

just thinking it appeals more if your just evaporating standard water.

or am I just trying to make a square wheel here :-/

doz

Adding a radiator wont do anything. With this style cooler, you CANNOT run a sealed system, thats the point of it. Water falls and cools. You must have open air for it to cool, or the heat will just stay trapped.

Check out a cooling tower. They cool the condenser water that comes from chillers. They require ALOT of maintainence and they must be replenished with water, as you will lose some over time (bounces out, evaporates, same issues the guy had on the original build years ago).

The major problem with this type of cooling isnt the loss of water, its the open air and dirt. Theres not a way to filter it either efficiently I dont believe. Youd probably have to run 2 pumps (one before filter, one after) and the filter maintainence would suck.

Large cooling towers use strainers, which dont catch everything believe me. But they do enough, but they also are dealing with small debris, which they can handle. With waterblocks being so small, you cant have that at all.

bing

Low Profile Senior
Is there anyone interested with this design HERE ?

Personally, I really love to see it that design turned to a real thing, sentimentally too, cause the creator already passed away while ago. :cry:

doz

Id be interested in that too. Shouldnt be too hard, but the fans, I dont think I could do squirrel cage unless I could find some cheap. If I can find some, that setup wouldnt be hard to build at all really. Gives me another project maybe :D

Spawn-Inc

dam, my boss tossed out a squirrel cage that would have been PERFECT for that design bing.. it was from a ductless unit.

problem with that design to build is getting a box like that with sheet for water. i can't even think of a store bought container for it.

i like the design for the sake of size. i could swap it out for my rad/pump box.

EDIT: which gets me thinking it could be made from a sheet of wood, and sealed for water.