• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Crucial DDR use Micron chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

I read some where that Crucial are changing the chips they use on DDR modules, this true? And if they are what differences will it make? Will the same happen in the UK?

Crucial is a division of Micron, and the reason Crucial makes good ram is becuae they get to pick the best chips from Micorn first. I'll doubt that Crucial are changing the chip manufacturer. May be you misunderstood since Crucial are introducing PC2700 soon, and the chip will be faster than now (5ns?):D

I know for 100% absolutely sure that Crucial uses Infineon chips on at least some of their 512Mb sticks of DDR RAM because I own 2 of them. (and it won't OC past 310Mhz)

I've also heard that they are now using Samsung chips on some 512Mb and 256Mb DDR sticks.

That is strange, my 256mb is all micron, you would think that a company would use its parent company's chips.

They have used Samsung on occassion as well.

In some cases, Micron does not manufacture or have enough stock in certain types of chips and use other manufacturers to supply it.

This was the case with 512MB DDR modules. Micron did not produce them at one time and used Samsung (and possibly Infineon) to supply them. They may still do this and there is even a release statement on their site explaning that their memory may not always have Micron chipsets.

Back