• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Heat pipe orientation matter on Ryzen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
https://noctua.at/fr/there-are-clai...o-varying-processor-temperatures-is-this-true

There are claims that on Ryzen 3000 CPUs, the orientation of the heatpipes over the Dies leads to varying processor temperatures, is this true?

Noctua has conducted internal tests with various coolers and CPU samples to find out whether or not the orientation of the heatpipe layout has an effect on cooling performance when used with Ryzen 3000 CPUs. The results have shown no evidence that this is indeed the case. However, as there can be minute variances in surface shape both with the CPU heatspreader and with the base of the cooler, it is possible that one orientation has a better fit than the other and hence gives slightly different results. A different orientation of the cooler also changes the airflow within the chassis though, and this can cause different temperatures as well.

Opinion:
I don't know, this seems a little too far fetched. Different mounting quality will also contribute. Too many variables.

I wasn't even aware that this was a question. Good to know that my prior belief is reinforced by testing done by Noctua.

Good to know indeed. I have seen this referenced, the theory is/was that if you had two or three heat pipes overlaying the chiplets in an orientation that is parallel to the long axis that less heat would be transferred because only those heat pipes directly over the core dies would be operating at maximum efficiency. If they were oriented such that every heat pipe crossed the chiplets perpendicularly to their long axis on the substrate that all of the heat-pipes would share in removing heat from them and the cooler would be more efficient.

I'm guessing that heat pipes are so efficient it doesn't matter whether they're removing heat from an IHS or removing heat from the heat pipes next to it, or from the heat pipe 3 pipes down by way of the two in between. I mean you can cut ice with one by holding it in your hand.

I tried to observe a difference in the past, and was unable to find such. I didn't re-orient the cooler, but instead tried to look for thermal differences across it that might happen if some heatpipes were more heated than others. No evidence to support this was found using IR imaging. I also tried using a graphite pad as an extra spreader which worsened temperatures slightly compared to paste.

At some point -- I cannot find it now -- I did a review of a Noctua and heatpipe orientation. I found that orientation did make a difference.
You tested with Ryzen 3000?

And they said this...
However, as there can be minute variances in surface shape both with the CPU heatspreader and with the base of the cooler, it is possible that one orientation has a better fit than the other and hence gives slightly different results. A different orientation of the cooler also changes the airflow within the chassis though, and this can cause different temperatures as well.

Last edited:
Good testing for the chip below it for surely. Ryzen though is a different beast.

Back