• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does hooking up 2 monitors lower the efficiency of GTX980...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's all about what you're rendering, not the number of monitors.

Not in any amount noticeable for a 980, unless you're running games or something else strenuous on the second monitor.

was planning to use 1 monitor for desktop only and 1 for gaming...will this work?

Your GPU load will be just like your normal gaming on one monitor plus less than 1% load.

Any time!

(P.S. Just noticed you don't have your Decennial badge, gonna go fix that!!)

You'll only notice a difference when you do benchmarking.

You won't be able to tell when gaming!

Saw this and was interested. I know at least my card in the past when I had 2 monitors hooked up it idled at a higher voltage/clock speed (mines an AMD card though). Curious if nVidia did the same? The GPU clock wouldn't nessisarly increase but I'd always notice the Memory going to full gaming clock speeds and voltage would bump up a few ticks.

Otherwise I personally didn't see any other effects of having 2 monitors or more hooked up. I run 3 montiors at work (2 discrete GPU + 1 Laptop with onboard GPU) works out very well but its a professional card in it.

Back