• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does insulation really work to keep cpu death by condensation from happening?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

I live in houston where 95% humidity days are not at all uncommoin. Im working on a water chiller project and would like to see some 10-20c temps. However, I am really worried about condensation. I have read several articles about sealing the processor off, but I am still somewhat skeptical that It could fend off the massive amount of condensation that could occur with this high humididity. Anybody had sucess with insulation in a high humidity environment?

sneakyfart

i would definately insulate everything you possibly can (the space between the cpu and WB, the socket, the lines etc. etc). save yourself the heartache of doing it over and replacing your cpu and vid card or worse. insulate both the lines because if the inbound line has condensation then you can bet your life the outbound will as well.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
thas kinda scarry, well maby insulate the crap out of it, test it outside the system and see if there is any condensation or wetness... maby check with multimeter for resistance in the insulation...

Daemonfly

If you insulate properly, it doesn't matter what humidity is on the OUTSIDE. Condensation comes from the water droplets in the air. Insulating removes the air from around the CPU. No air - no condensation. If the insulation is thick enough, and doesn't transfer heat well, the outside of the insulation won't get cold enough to form condensation either.