• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does it matter which molex connector I use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nut

Registered
I am a newbie and want to connect my fan that sits on top of heatsink to the power supply. I just want to get some things straight before i begin.

I take the 3 pin wire from fan and connect it to fan sensor header on mobo , then i take the wire with the molex connector and connect it to powersupply's molex. My question is my powersupply has so many molex connectors i don't know which one to use , does it even matter. Some say fan only some don't have a label. Is it preferred that i connect on one that isn't connected to anything else on the other end.

So many stupid questions.

thanks

RnPgrosz

Which heatsink are you using? If the fan has a seperate sensor then you would connect that to the motherboard. it doesn't matter which molex connector you use to give the fan power. One thing which I would not do is put a lot of components on the same chain.

OP
N

nut

Registered
The heatsink is a SLK-800. So it doesnt matter if say one molex has 4 metal pins and some have 2 metal pins. Or do i connect to one that has the same amount of pins on my cpu fan.

OP
N

nut

Registered
5.7 watts/12 volt. Is that what you meant. Thanks

Gnufsh

If you have an antec "true power" psuy, the "fan only" connectors will run your fans at just over 5 volts at normal case temps (at least mine do). Plug it into a regular molex for best performance. If it fits, it should work.