• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does running at 1.85V+ effect CPU life?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

I have heard that running at 1.85 or above volts for CPU's effect the life of the processor.... is this true?
I dont see why it would be true and if it is i dont see how it makes any sence at all.... if you have a rig with a 80mm heatsink like a alpha or swiftech, and run at say.... 1.95v, then you will probably get temps in high 40's to mid 50's. However, these temps are still very low compared to the stuff that you get to with the stock cooler that comes with the retail chip.... if AMD guarantees that using the stock cooler on a XP, at 1.75 v, you CPU will last 3 years (isnt that how long the warrenty is?) and you get temps with the stock cooler in the high 50's to early 60's, then why would running at high voltages affect the cpu? it does not make any sence to me... can somebody explain this a little better?

cpu lifespan

Voltage aside for the moment... overclocking reduces the lifespan of your cpu. Stressing the cpu reduces its lifespan. Whether volts or heat or higher multiplyer or FSB, it'll all degrade the cpu a bit faster than the stock settings. But by reducing heat, we try to minimze the impact OC'ing has on cpus' lifespans. Tell yourself the cpu has a lifespan of 15 or 20 years to start with, then subtract some years because of your overclock. Then remind yourself that this May or next X-mas or your birthday, you'd really like to sell the Xp and get the new T-bred... and a year or two later a Hammer, etc. Technology advances faster than it decays, unless you just get plain crazy when overclocking. Most cpus go out with a bang anyway rather than fading away I think.

BTW- Xp1600+ @ 11x148 and 2.0vcore 39C load at 82F room temp if MBM is to be believed.

2.05 vcore on my system right now and im doing about 41 to 42 load but i need to lower my case temp (dont know why it went so high) my case temp is 30 c which pretty dam high.. i love my alpha and for air cooling is doing a bang of a job then again it also has a 130 cfm blowing air into its 80 mm fan.. i know my chip wont last me as long as it would have but come on i plan on upgrading to a XP or a t-bred as soon as 1.4 is to slow and before that i plan on taking it out in a bang of glowery that or selling it in the classifeds LOL dont worry about it to much unless u only use ur PC for typing or surfing the net this chip wont last u another year and a half 2 max... **** i upgrade about every 1 or so... (talking about my chip not my vid card which i upgrade a lot LOL)

I have had my T-Bird 1000 @ 1200 and 1.85Vcore for over a year now, while it doesn't really do much but sit in my server and dish stuff out now, I never really have probs with it. And as you see in my sig, I have a high Vcore on my XP too, that's going on 5 or 6 months now. You will probably replace your proc before it dies anyhow.

Fiz

Yea, if everything goes smooth, your CPU should be fine around 1.85v-1.95v just that cooling is needed! I run mine at 1.9v fun, and it's been like that for 2 months, all day at load crunching SETI.

Back