• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does running thru an ethernet port make your cable modem faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tacos

I have decided to get an ethernet card to run my cable modem thru. I have heard that an ethernet card is more reliable than a usb port. Does the ethernet card make the cable modem faster or what reason is it that makes an ethernet card that much better?

Thanks

AMD'er

The only thing I reason I could really think of speed difference is that a Nic Card is design for your internet and network connections and a USB port is has many various uses. I can't remember off the top of my head what the transfer rate is for a USB port but I know its lower than your average NIC card. So I would have to say that switching to a NIC card would be best. 10/100 ya know, plus I know you have more PCI slots than you do USB ports so take advantage and free up the ports.

Tweak

Registered
USB is 12mbit/sec, and the other advantage to using the ethernetis that you can more easily connect more computers to your broadband connection.