• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does super high grit really make a difference (lapping)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bloodkil

Registered
I built my rig last year and after trying the proc for 1 week had lapped it and my water block. It took a while longer than I had expected and I hurried through the end (mostly on the 1500 and 2000 grit papers) because I wanted to get my system back together and I had months of 16 hour days starting the next week at work. Even through all this I feel I got a pretty good lap and feel I could do better with the grits I have now that I have the time. My real question is would it be worth it to continue the lap to get a even more polished surface (I would never use a polishing agent btw) especially since I have now seen 2500, 3000, 3500, and 4000 :drool: grit lapping film?

Anybody with experience who has temps and pics of their lap with high or low grit papers please post (unfortunately I have no temps before my lap).

P.S. if I do lap more based on your experiences I will do so in a couple of weeks and post results/pics but right now im trying to build a 9850/9950 rig + monitor for my uncle at around 600$ so ill be busy doing research, ordering and building.

Attachments

• aPIC_0953.JPG
    aPIC_0953.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 63
  • aPIC_0955.JPG
    aPIC_0955.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 61
  • aPIC_0961.JPG
    aPIC_0961.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 61
Back