• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the in chip diode reads higher then MB diode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hduong

I just got a giga-byte 7vax and notice that it uses the AMD xp built in diode to read temps. Does the chip diode read temp higher then normal? If yes how much higher. My 1600+ runs fine @166 or 1754mhz but I need to up the voltage to 1.88ish to make it stable. At that voltage temps are 50c idle up from 42c stock. So is a 50c idle too high? thanks

repo man11

In my experience, yes. My XP1600 is stable up to 60C (maybe higher, but I haven't been brave or foolhardy enough to run it higher) as read by the on chip sensor. My T-bird would lock up at anything over 53C on my KT7A with its socket thermistor. Keeping it out of the 50's is good, but hitting 50 and a little over isn't reason to panic.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I don't have any boards that read on-die, and I have no evidence that I can point to and say "this proves I am right" but after a lot of posts and discussions with people who DO have on-die temps, I have a comparison figure I use:

In-socket temps are 10 to 14c lower than on-die
conversely
On-die temps are 10 to 14c higher than in-socket

They actually measure the temp in different places, so they won't be directly comparable, but that range is "close enough".

Using my "formula" 50c idle would be around 38c in-socket: not bad but a little bit warm I think. I'm not too familiar with idle temps though :)

OP
H

hduong

One more thing, my load temps are 61c. hmm gonna do some more stress test tonight. thanks

snvpa

as far as I'm concerned 61 @ full load isn't that bad. the question is is it stable? If it is then I see nothing to worry about. as far as your first question. the on die temp provided by the chip is usually higher just like rogerdugans said but since its closer to the die (in it) its much more accurate. everyone talks alot about temps here and certainly lower is better and provides for a higher overclock and improved stability, the one thing noone seems to mention is that the max temps per amd spec are 90c. 60 is a far cry from that. my rule is, if its stable through stress testing then its fine.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
My KT400 Dragon reads on die. However it says my temp is 39load but my compnurse says 23.6C load. With this however you can take like a grain of salt.

ManOfKnight

Back in Iowa :( Come on Gators, Get up and Go!
i know my VXRP i believe reads the on die...since i pushed the on board down to where it gets no where NEAR my processor and installed the Smart Fan II sensor there...I know the Smart Fan is supposed to hit full speed at 50C...my board says i sit at 54C when it has been running 100% for about 2 hours and my Smart Fan is at about 75%