• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does the "white crud" matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tuhran

Greetings,
Like so many of us, my tubing is plagued with the white crud.
I did a search, and determined that it is probably a mineral deposit, is associated with the corrosion inhibitors that we add, is a PITA to clean, and will probably recur.
My question: is it really necessary to remove this stuff? If you have a windowed, lit, "showcase" system, then I can see wanting to get this ugly stuff out. My system will be sitting next to my desk out of sight.
If there is an issue other than cosmetic, I might consider the humidifier cleaner or other such thing that was suggested, but I'd rather not add anything else to my water if I can help it.
Thoughts?

Rocko[DPC]

Its probably not because of the corrosion inhibitors youre adding to the water. Its probably because youre using tap water instead of distilled water.

If it builds up enough it will inhibit the flow and degrade the cooling quality. If theres no difference, you could just leave it. I would recommend changing to distilled water if you do clean it.

OP
T

Tuhran

I am running distilled water.

My fault for not giving my specifics:
I'm using Clearflex60 tubing, and my fluid mix is approximately 91% distilled water, 6% D-Tek Super Cool, and 3% methanol.

The deposits started almost immediately; I started leak testing, and was pleased to see the system bleed out in just the first few hours, but at the same time noticed the beginnings of the crud.
Now, everything's pretty well frosted.

So we're back to, is this a problem?

altec

polka dot ninja
If the build up continues, I could see it maybe restricing flow, and maybe causing other problems...so I would clean it out.

Rocko[DPC]

Odd to get that kind of corrosion immediately... What are you using for a radiator? Is it a used heatercore or something?

Romebaby

I don't think it's a problem. It doesn't seem to form in the blocks(in my setup anyway) where it may act as an insulator and inhibit the heat exchange. It's a very thin coating on the inside of the tubing, probably not restricting flow much, if at all. If you change the water every 3-6 months, flush blocks & rad, change tubing every couple years, etc. I can't really see it turning into a problem either. I can't even tell it's on the tubing unless I drain it, maybe try a different color water and you won't notice it so much.

OP
T

Tuhran

Rocko[DPC] said:
Odd to get that kind of corrosion immediately... What are you using for a radiator? Is it a used heatercore or something?

It's a new D-Tek heatercore. All materials in the system are clean and new (nothing used or scrounged).

Romebaby, I hope you're right. If I notice my temps being out of whack, I'll take it down and check the block. Otherwise, I'll wait for its 6 month checkup.
The deposit is very thin, like a haze on the straight runs, thicker at joints and intersections (as you would expect). If it doesn't get worse (which it hasn't seemed to in the lasr few days) and doesn't affect temps, I'll stop worrying.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Yuriman

Hmm, mine apeared very suddenly as well, and im using distilled water. Perhaps wal-marts distilled water is tainted. Also, after a few weeks my tubes began to go orange, I got new tubes, but it seems very odd.

likwidkool

Registered
Do all you guy's have the Dtek heater core? I have one two and noticed the white crud. I reinstalled my sytem 3 times within the last2 months and noticed the white crud after the first 2. The last one was a little over a week agao when I got my 2.4c and IC7. The only thing to change was a TC-4 to a Maze3 and no NB block. Also I made sure to really flush everything out. Mainly the HC as I was suspect of it causeing the crud. Well like I said about a week later and the tubing is crystal clear. Before the crud would coat it already. I am thinking that the HC might have really needed a cleaning.

maj1ck

im starting to think the same thing as its happening to me with a brand new dtek heatercore.... gonna try and completely flush the thing out

kovert

Registered
likwidkool said:
Do all you guy's have the Dtek heater core? I have one two and noticed the white crud. I reinstalled my sytem 3 times within the last2 months and noticed the white crud after the first 2. The last one was a little over a week agao when I got my 2.4c and IC7. The only thing to change was a TC-4 to a Maze3 and no NB block. Also I made sure to really flush everything out. Mainly the HC as I was suspect of it causeing the crud. Well like I said about a week later and the tubing is crystal clear. Before the crud would coat it already. I am thinking that the HC might have really needed a cleaning.

I have a dtek heater core too and after buying all new tubing it seemed to build up fast...

http://www.smert.net/stuff/pics/comp/brokenblock/brokenblock 001.jpg

You can see the tubing is white it used to be clear :S I didn't think it was my HC...because I use UV die I thought that was the reason I was getting such a build up. I think I'm going to clean mine out with bleach or something...after my new waterblock comes in...